The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting another amp to match up with my tele. I don't think I want a tube amp but I won't totally rule it out. It will be used mostly for practicing and jamming with friends so it doesn't need to be real loud. I have a few preferences but I'll keep that to myself so I don't prejudice any of your suggestions. I don't mind going the used route either as long as it's used and not abused.

·
Administrator
16,705 Posts
Why not just get an EP Booster or an EQ pedal?

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Any particular budget in mind? Teles seem to sound great through just about anything. I rented a Vox AC4 (12” speaker version) last year and it sounded great with my Tele. They aren’t expensive, either. You could also try a Pro Junior, although they will get loud if you turn them up. And of course, a Tele with a Tweed is a classic combination.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Tele and a tweed clone Fender amp are a match made in heaven. A 5E3 Deluxe or a 5F4 Super could be absolutely stellar. Go clone!
Who makes a 5E3 and 5F4?

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any particular budget in mind? Teles seem to sound great through just about anything. I rented a Vox AC4 (12” speaker version) last year and it sounded great with my Tele. They aren’t expensive, either. You could also try a Pro Junior, although they will get loud if you turn them up. And of course, a Tele with a Tweed is a classic combination.
Probably around $300.00. There are some good deals at GC. I ski close to the border so it's just a short drive to go over and pick it up in the USA. Here are some examples all in good or great condition.......

Roland 15W - $50.00
Fender Mustang 1 - $60.00
Vox AD15VT - $70.00
Line 6 Spider II 120W - $100.00
Traynor Reverb Mate 40 - $129.00
Vox VT50 - $160.00
Fender Mustang III or Super Champ XD - $200.00

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
The Fender Mustangs are pretty darn good amps and can get you a decent variety of amp and effects sounds. Great bang for your buck. The Mustang 3 has the added benefit of the LCD allowing you to program your presets right on the amp. It can play softly but goes pretty loud. I had one and it was fun. Then GAS got me and I’ve been through a bunch since.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, is that $200 US for the 3? I’ve seen them on Kijiji for $250-300 CAD
Yes, but it is in excellent condition. For good condition $175.00

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I'm currently investigating the Roland Blues cube. Its getting some great reviews for its tube modeling technology. I'm looking at the artist which is on the expensive side for a solid state but they do have the stage model which is less expensive and less power. All the models come with a power attenuator that seems to work very well according to the youtube videos I've watched.
Even the blues cube stage is expensive at $799. There is the blues cube hot for $100 less but I don't think that particular model comes with the attenuator.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Proper 'attenuators' make no sense for solid state amps. Same with power scaling. A good MV is all that's necessary. The OD tone will be generated by the preamp, why would anyone want to work a SS output stage to distortion? Marketing hulaballoo, IMO.

Reactions: jdto

·
Administrator
16,705 Posts
Out of that list I'd say the Mustang III by a long shot. You need to be prepared to tweak the hell out of the factory settings though.

Of course a lot of this may depend on the Tele. If you're looking at $60 amps one wonders what kind of Tele you have.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts