The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently building a new pedal board, need some suggestions for a volume pedal. Thank in advance!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
I use Morley because its optical, and you can easily adjust the throw to what you like by opening up the light deflector.
Also from what the internet says............... not me ................ no pots equals no tone suck like an EB etc. Im happy thats all i know.

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
For my money, I think a player needs to try out a few. Using a volume pedal expressively entails having a feel that the player find comfortable and responsive. There are certainly mechanical and electronic aspects that are helpful and add to flexibility or reliability, but mere specs aren't really enough to find something that feels right.

P

·
0 Posts
I recommend a volume pedal with a buffer so it doesn't tone suck like the passive ones do. It would be nice if it was true bypass with an on off switch, so like other pedals it can be in or out of your chain.

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
I recommend a volume pedal with a buffer so it doesn't tone suck like the passive ones do. It would be nice if it was true bypass with an on off switch, so like other pedals it can be in or out of your chain.
if you throw a buffered pedal in front of the volume it helps and an active volume isn't necessary

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
For my money, I think a player needs to try out a few. Using a volume pedal expressively entails having a feel that the player find comfortable and responsive. There are certainly mechanical and electronic aspects that are helpful and add to flexibility or reliability, but mere specs aren't really enough to find something that feels right.
I agree that trying out a bunch is the way to go, they truly play differently and its personal touch for sure but some are inherently faulty and that feels like an exercise in futility, they will fail ...eventually. How soon and when is always a surprise, hopefully its not when you're most dependant on it.

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
String-driven mechanisms feel smoother. Optical pedals are less prone to noise over time. Most of the complaints, apart from pot-crackle, that I hear, tend to result from impedance mismatches between the pot value in the pedal, and whatever buffering, or lack thereof, the player has at that point in the signal chain.

It bear noting that a great many volume pedals were really intended for use by keyboard players, and anticipate a different set of input and output impedances.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the optical volume not have those pots that are part of the above problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank for everyone's input :)

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the optical volume not have those pots that are part of the above problem?
Correct, but the circuit overall has an input and output impedance. When the entire circuit is simply one pot and nothing else, yes the pot value makes a difference, and sets the degfree of loading. But in the case of optical volume pedals, the optical aspect may beonly one element in a more complex circuit.

For instance, the pedal might use a shutter system like Morley used for many of their pedals, to form half or both halves of a virtual pot, with buffering before and after.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I picked up a Morley volume plus, let you guys know what my thoughts are

·
Registered
371 Posts
There are some Youtube videos showing how to Mod the light triangle if you are unhappy with the throw. It is a 5 minute easy fix

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I also use a Morley volume/wah. I bought it on a whim and it now lives on my board and gets used for both swells and wah when I previously didn't do either very often at all.

I did modify the shutter as the volume taper came on too late in the throw to be expressive. Took about 10 minutes with a pocket knife to enlarge the shutter hole and it's perfect now. There are a couple videos on YouTube describing this.

The wah sounds great and can also be customized which I did at the same time. Adjustable boost is great too.

Couldn't be happier, unless it had a push down toggle switch for faster switching...

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
It would be nice if it was true bypass with an on off switch, so like other pedals it can be in or out of your chain.
I use a true bypass looper to turn my volume pedal on and off. This also allows me to use the Dunlop DVP3 as an expression pedal as well, when I choose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts