The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided to build a simple stompbox, a little box with a snare mounted on the underside of a thin plywood top with a pickup in it. Any suggestions to source a cheap pickup? Anyone got a functioning pickup they don't want?

Don't know if it'll even work well so, ...cheap. :)
thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Don't they usually use a piezo element vs a pickup (I have seen people refer to those as a pickup). 50c to a dollar at any electronics parts supply. Get a larger one with leads already attached - can be a pain to solder to. Only issue is it might not be ideal plugging direct into an amp (e.g piezo bridge pickups usually have an onboard preamp). A mic pre or even a boost or EQ pedal should do the trick (something with a lot of cleanish gain, tone shaping being a bonus).

Reactions: brucew

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
I think he's thinking of an inductive pickup rather than a contact pickup. In other words, he wants the pickup to sense the snare.

Question: is the snare itself ferro-magnetic? Keep in mind that an inductive coil would not work with a snare thatwas made of brass or aluminum, etc. It would need to be ferromagnetic.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
this fellow explores a snare/rattle sound in this video....i believe he is using a piezo for the rattle pickup
this is an old video he has a new website and makes and sells various (fairly pricey) products.
his bass transducer interests me i believe he is using a dampened speaker and an audio transformer....... this set up gives a great bass sound.
i was hoping @mhammer could recommend a model and source for a transformer.

from what i see in his new video is the "snare" transducer is designed to create a thinner sounding thump rather than a rattle sound.

i am not sure a magnetic pickup will capture the "sound" of the snare wires against the box top but hope you will keep us posted . i think having the pickup firmly attached to the top with spacers to allow the snare wires to run between the pickup and the top would be the way to start...

i have made several bass drum stomps using various magnetic pickups and licence plates they work quite well.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
Thanks for your confidence in me. Whether it is warranted is a whole other thing.
As surely some will know, pretty much any coil-based speaker can be used as a microphone. Feeding AC into the coil makes the coil move the speaker cone, but moving the speaker cone in and unpowered speaker also creates a voltage in the coil. Indeed, back in the day, many household intercoms relied on that "reversability" for intercom stations where the single speaker did double duty, depending on the direction of the sound.

The voltage generated, however, would generally be small, and sometimes even below actual voice-mic levels, so it would require serious boosting. This would usually require a matching transformer used in a reverse manner. So, where a transistor circuit might use a 1000-ohm:8ohm transformer to match the output stage to the speaker load, reversing the direction of the signal might use the same transformer to provide a usable signal and impedance to the input of a pre-amp stage. So, the 8-ohm secondary going to the speaker would be treated as the primary, and the 1k primary would be used as the secondary.

For transducer, I think it bears recognizing the different qualities and purposes of piezo, vs other, transducers. If one wants to simply generate a trigger to actuate some sort of percussion tone generator, piezos are great, unobtrusive, and inexpensive. If one wishes to simply amplify the acoustic properties of a physical object (like a cigar box), they are not so great, because they have the "wrong" resonant properties. Ideally, I would think that a dynamic (i.e., coil-based) speaker would better relay the decay of a struck object. But, it would need to be compliant enough to do so.

I suspect that any of the devices normally referred to as "exciters" - intended to turn a membrane-like surface into a speaker cone equivalent - would be optimal for the job. Here is an assortment of varying prices, sizes, and characteristics, to sift through: Exciters & Tactile Transducers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 18 Earlier in the summer, I picked up several inexpensive one there, and hope to put several to use for a novel spring reverb, and maybe even a plate-reverb. The reason why I recommend them is that the dome of the coil generally has some adhesive to affix the unit to the vibratable membrane surface, such that all vibrations from the driver are transferred to the surface, and conversely, all physical vibrations of the surface are transferred efficiently to the coil.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
wow those exciters open a whole world of possibilities. thanks.
i was particularly looking for some suggestions and sources for the audio transformers :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ditto on the Wow, thanks for the wealth of information everyone! I've got some reading to do, some pieces to find and some prototypes to think about.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

i am not sure a magnetic pickup will capture the "sound" of the snare wires against the box top but hope you will keep us posted . i think having the pickup firmly attached to the top with spacers to allow the snare wires to run between the pickup and the top would be the way to start...
Thinking half a snare attached at the one end, a piece of tin spaced with a tiny amount of room for the snare wires to rattle against, the pickup between the piece of tin and where the snare is attached; I can see making a few different ones and the final result being much different. Perhaps I'm just off on a tangent. :)

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
wow those exciters open a whole world of possibilities. thanks.
i was particularly looking for some suggestions and sources for the audio transformers :)
The good news is that, given the intended use, and the bandwidth of something you hit with your foot, the demands/requirements for a transformer are light and minimal. Radio Shack used to sell a perfect matching transformer for your needs. I believe it was 10k:8R. Many of the Mouser small audio transformers are probably appropriate. The Mouser/Xicon 42T0xx series should have something appropriate. https://www.mouser.ca/Passive-Components/Audio-Transformers-Signal-Transformers/_/N-5gbg?P=1z0wnxy

My buddy Steve Daniels at Small Bear electronics carries most of those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts