The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some popular cover song choices that would be a good fit for a live TRIO format with only one ACOUSTIC guitar, bass and drums.

Ideas? Let's have 'em! Just remember that if the original song has electric guitar solos or any other prominent instrument parts, it won't work live. I only have two hands, and they will be busy playing acoustic.

My weekend band plays bars, weddings, parties, etc, with a mix of rock, pop, blues, roots, party standards and borderline country. With this trio I've only ever played electric. Then, recently we were asked to learn Oasis Wonderwall for a wedding's first-dance number. I used my acoustic and though I'm not crazy about that song, I like the way it sounded - nice contrast and change from the electric.

So now I'm thinking I'd like to have maybe 5 or 6 good acoustic songs ready, so we can throw in 1 or 2 per set for variety.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Cake's version of "I Will Survive" is pretty catchy.

I suppose you'd need to play popular songs yeah? If not, I'd suggest checking out some stuff by Murder By Death (acoustic stuff, don't let the name scare you), or maybe Neutral Milk Hotel. The track "Holland, 1945" is really nice. Pixies, Weezer, Radiohead, Pearl Jam...a lot of stuff would work good with an acoustic guitar.

I guess you could always play some Crappleback or something.

I'll think of some others.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You could do some jack johnson.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ella Fitzgerald's "Fever" just screams out for that instrument lineup and it's really hard to screw up :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
For No One - The Beatles

Might not be the best choice for weddings though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
umm
jack johnson for sure if your doing acoustic stuff taylor is a sweet song
maybe behind blue eyes by the who?
that hey there delilah b the plan white t's its all over the radio these days..
james blunt stuff isnt that bad either might want to check out one of his tunes

·
Registered
182 Posts
Life by the Drop - SRV
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
This is going to sound a little goofy, but White Wedding by Billy Idol and Hit me Baby One more time by Brittney Spears are really fun acoustically. not to mention that when you Play Britney Spears, people crack up. Times like These by Foo Fighters, I am A highway by Audioslave.

·
Registered
140 Posts
acoustic covers

Crowded House has some real nice tunes for that situation,,I saw them play with an Acoustic/Electric,Stand up Bass, and a bare bones Kit with a Snare/ride/floor Tom/HHat/and one other little tom,and it sounded excellent ! Oh yeah I almost forgot,,,the Drummer did'nt even have a Kick !!

·
Registered
140 Posts
covers

This is going to sound a little goofy, but White Wedding by Billy Idol and Hit me Baby One more time by Brittney Spears are really fun acoustically. not to mention that when you Play Britney Spears, people crack up. Times like These by Foo Fighters, I am A highway by Audioslave.
Times Like These,,Is very fun to play as well ! The FF also have tons of good (unplugged) stuff on the same CD that "Learn to fly" is on.Have a listen,,you won't be Sorry !

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm looking for some popular cover song choices that would be a good fit for a live TRIO format with only one ACOUSTIC guitar, bass and drums.

Ideas? Let's have 'em! Just remember that if the original song has electric guitar solos or any other prominent instrument parts, it won't work live. I only have two hands, and they will be busy playing acoustic.

My weekend band plays bars, weddings, parties, etc, with a mix of rock, pop, blues, roots, party standards and borderline country. With this trio I've only ever played electric. Then, recently we were asked to learn Oasis Wonderwall for a wedding's first-dance number. I used my acoustic and though I'm not crazy about that song, I like the way it sounded - nice contrast and change from the electric.

So now I'm thinking I'd like to have maybe 5 or 6 good acoustic songs ready, so we can throw in 1 or 2 per set for variety.
Lucky man ELP...or actually, In the beginning, ELP:rockon:

·
Registered
74 Posts
mmmm acoustic eh?

Heres something you wont hear everyday...how about Black Sabbath's "Solitude" off Master of Reality
Athough there is a very small bit of electric that could easily be covered by an acoustic- you have to be able to sing well while playing.

L

·
0 Posts
led zeppelin - thank you
max webster - on the road
anything sappy in Dm....

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some great suggestions in here.. thanks!

Just from this thread I'd seriously consider:
  • Blister in the Sun
  • Heart of Gold
  • Taylor (or other Jack Johnson)
  • Crowded House
  • Radiohead - High and Dry. Actually, not sure this one would work because of the missing electric solo in the middle. Also, my falsetto is a bit shaky at times!
Any more ideas? Nothing too heavy or too obscure please. This is a commercial band, the songs aught to be familiar to the majority of average people in the average bar.

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
has anyone mentioned goo goo dolls yet? it should definitely be doable with a trio, just simplify the guitars if need be :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
How about...
Bob Segar - Against the Wind and/or Night Moves
The Eagles - take your pick - quite a few that will work with 1 guitar

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Well if commercial is your thing chicks seem to love these:

Faith (George Michaels)
What's Up? (4 non-blondes)