The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned some pricey ones and some middle of the road fuzz pedals. I'd like to own some cheaper units that can still wow, does anyone have some suggestions?

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Check out KO Amplifiers and Effects Pedals All currently $150Cdn incl shipping. Too bad you just missed the Black Friday sale. I have the Stout Drive and I don't see it leaving my board any time soon. Big fat fuzzy tone that still lets you hear all of the notes on every string*. Very responsive to note attack.

* - I've had fuzz pedals that are only good at bass or only good at treble.

·
Registered
24,366 Posts
I like the old Shin-Ei FY-2 Companion fuzz. Hardly anything to it. The stock version has a midscoop filter that aims for the Superfuzz scoop without the octaving. But remove the scoop filter and it bears a strong resemblance to the Mos-Rite Fuzz-Rite and Orpheum Fuzz. Not much to it, really. I have a board sitting around with one on it, if you are moved to add the pots, switch, and install it into a box.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
And I was just gonna say ask nicely for Mark to make you one hahaha.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just bought a EHX Green Russian Big Muff for $95 new in the box. Sounds terrific.
I was going for one of these and decided to post to find some comparable alternatives. The new little green muff and the little big muff from EHX kinda got me thinking about fuzzes again.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I was going for one of these and decided to post to find some comparable alternatives. The new little green muff and the little big muff from EHX kinda got me thinking about fuzzes again.
Give the Green Russian a shot. I have a old Bubble Font Green Russian and did the side by side test and they were identical.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Give the Green Russian a shot. I have a old Bubble Font Green Russian and did the side by side test and they were identical.
I've had variants of the green muffs and like them a lot so I'll try this one out next time I'm in a shop.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I just bought the earthquake devices eruption for under $150 used on reverb.

It’s pretty awesome, awesome fuzz tone One knob.

Supprising amount of tones available .
Erupter

Nathan

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I just built this thing:

For a bud (there's a story there). It's based off the Bazz Fuzz circuit which itself is really simple. You can get a kit or built unit from Fuzzdog in the UK (Bazz Fuzz) but I just DIYed it from scratch on veroboard as I modified the circuit a bit (even more so than the mods by the usual internet guitar pedal gurus aka the deluxe bazz Fuzz).

Easy enough to build yourself or have a local guy do it for you. Here's my version (if you don't play bass drop the output filter knob and use the single cap with no variability like in the Deluxe Bazz Fuzz circuit: http://www.home-wrecker.com/dbf.png)

Vero layout:

Reactions: vadsy

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just bought the earthquake devices eruption for under $150 used on reverb.

It’s pretty awesome, awesome fuzz tone One knob.

Supprising amount of tones available .
Erupter

Nathan
I considered the Acapulco Gold a couple of years ago just for the fact that it has one knob, love the idea and hope its useable. In this case I'd like to play around more so I feel like the simplicity approach isn't what I'm after. I really like the thought design behind the Erupter, seems like a solid pedal especially with wah use.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts