The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the place to post if you have a band that you think people should know about or a certain song. Dont forget to leave the genre and say what's so special about them if you can.

First up for me is Old Man's Child. They seem to be greatly in the shadow of Dimmu Borgir and I heard their live performances (from what I've seen on You Tube) are nothing to write home about. In the studio, they are quite good. Old Man's Child was created by one of the members of Dimmu Borgir and they split a CD with them as well. The recently released a new CD called Vermin and I found it to be quite good. 9 tracks to the album and its great.

What's so different about the band? Well aside from being black metal, they seem to have different vocal styles in their songs mixed with operatics at times. Good use of synth/keyboards as well. The drumming isn't all blast beats and actually has a damn good rythem to it. The guitar sounds will really get you with how powerfull they sound. So many different sounds and all of them are great. They also mix acoustic guitar into their tracks sometimes. A great creative band and Im glad Galder created this wonderfull group.

I was about to tell you to stay tuned for tomorrows but I;ll just tell you to download Insect by Spiral Architect. Its not quite ANY genre. They go between so many in this chaotic 5:54 but its not metal. If you love lots of random crazy instrumentals with a bass player that wont quit, check it out.

·
Registered
698 Posts
How about Firebird? They're a retro-70's/stoner jam-rock outfit. I've been digging their stuff lately. Oddly enough, they were put together by Bill Steer...the guitarist from Carcass. Talk about night & day stylistically...

Another similar band I've been into lately is Sixty Watt Shaman.

Man - I've been on a pretty major retro/stoner trip the last few months. I picked up 5 CD's in a used bin the other day and all but 1 was this style of stuff. Stonerrock.com & Stoner-Rock.com have been mecca lately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts