The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried putting a switch in my SG but it added hum. I noticed Next Gen Guitars sells a stutter switch. Does anyone know how to wire the switch so it won't hum or change my guitar tone? I have two humbuckers. Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,660 Posts
1) Did your switch disconnect/reconnect the signal flow in series, or did it simply connect to ground?
2) Where did you situate your switch?
3) What sort of switch did you use?

Ideally, a stutter switch should function pretty much like a noise gate that gates on finger-command. And the vast majority of noise gates simply insert a very low-resistance path to ground so that the entire signal goes to ground. That is also how the vast majority of amplifiers "cancel" the onboard reverb.

·
Premium Member
18,806 Posts
I'm betting @mhammer will enjoy this thread!

Especially given the link above.

EDIT...See what I mean! Voila...guess who s the faster typist...LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) Did your switch disconnect/reconnect the signal flow in series, or did it simply connect to ground?
2) Where did you situate your switch?
3) What sort of switch did you use?

Ideally, a stutter switch should function pretty much like a noise gate that gates on finger-command. And the vast majority of noise gates simply insert a very low-resistance path to ground so that the entire signal goes to ground. That is also how the vast majority of amplifiers "cancel" the onboard reverb.
It was some time ago, and a friend was doing the wiring. He did try a number of wirings to get rid of the hum and the click. It is a small circular momentary switch mounted on the pickguard. The issues I had seem to be pretty common.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts