The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use the Stunt Monkey Tone Gernade? They describe it as "The SMP Tone Grenade uses a 12AU7 tube for a clean boost all the way up to a mild bluesy overdrive. This pedal will add that 'tube tone' to any solid state amp and gives additional rich harmonics." Which is exactly what I want, not a tube overdrive.

So, anyone use it? Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
24,374 Posts
I was given an Eleca Tube Distortion last year. It is a clone of the BK Butler Tube Driver, which is in turn a clone of the Chandler Tube Driver. All 3 are basically hybrid circuits, with a 12AX7 stuck in between a couple of chips. It didn't seduce me. But what it does have that was nice is a 2nd stompswitch to select between distortion and clean boost, in addition to the normal bypass switch. The tube provides a bit of coloration, but not much. I think it is really to simply let the treble and bass controls do the talking.

Given that you're out BC-way, many Radial pedals (made in Vancouver) stick a tube in between chips too.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not looking for a distorted boost, just a clean tube boost for a solid state practice amp.

I'll have a look at the radial stuff. I seem to recall that they are on the expensive side.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I noticed the Tone Grenade recently, and am curious to hear it. Pedals with a real tube are not prevalent, and are often very expensive, i.e. Friedman Motor City Drive, and the ones made by Effectrode. I've discovered the most inexpensive tube pedals are DIY. Search for 'valvecaster'. It seems to be a circuit often used in these DIY units.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts