The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
This guy can play pretty good....definetly no slouch....

though if you attend the Canadian guitar festival....you would get to see even better players playing live,,,,,so of them being Canadian as well....
Don Ross for example.....
also a guy named Pino from Italy.....

Auger

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For me, Eric's clip is inherently musical.

Forget about the unorthodox technique. It sounds beautiful to me.

Comparing it to Vai or any other player is missing the point.

I'm not as impressed by virtuosity as I am by musicality and that's one of those nebulous, unquantifiable qualities that simply comes down to taste.

There's no rationalizing it.

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem.

It's funny. The first couple of times I watched the clip I was struck by the technique and the novelty elements.

Now, when I watch it I'm captivated by the beauty of the music. I can close my eyes and enjoy it. That tells me it's something special.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
hmm i thought that he's a good player, with very good technique.. but musically it didn't seem to go anywhere... some of his other clips i liked better.. for me, the sonic tapestry thing is epitomized by micheal hedges' work... peppino d'agostino, don ross, pierre bensusan.. that's what blows my mind. thanks for the link though, it's always a pleasure to see anyone trying to take the guitar in a new direction.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I like it a lot milkman :) Thanks.

After watching that video by Mongrain the first time (about a year ago I rekon), I went to his site and stuff, and learned about the techniques, etc to this whole system of playing guitar.

Insane.

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like it a lot milkman :) Thanks.

After watching that video by Mongrain the first time (about a year ago I rekon), I went to his site and stuff, and learned about the techniques, etc to this whole system of playing guitar.

Insane.

I have also seen it posted a few times and I again, there's just something natural and musical about the way he plays. Sadly I think his unorthadox technique probably distracts many people from the beauty of the music, which is much more important to my ears.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts