The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do all you tele fans think of this?

[/IMG]

I saw one tonight (in Kitchener) ....$1000.00 CDN

Some of the relicing seemed quite impressive to me...some not.

Dave

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have great respect for Joe Strummer... and I love the Tele tradition. Alas, I won't be shelling out a cool grand for this instrument. I have to think old Joe would be spinning in his grave over this calculated little move.

Perhaps if the relicing weren't so brutal I'd be a little less nauseated by the whole thing. But it would still ring false to me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not big on reliced guitars. Find it is a scam. Take a perfectly good guitar, drag it behind a truck for a few blocks, artificially rust everything and sell it 2x the price. What a waste.

But one mans porridge is another mans steak and eggs.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
I like genuine wear'n'tear so the popular quasi-pseudo-contrived-fake-relic look kinda perplexes me, but whatever floats your boat. It's really a ploy to get fans to buy a piece of the action, bump sales, and prolong artist exposure, none of which is inherently wrong but I don't want Clapton's (or whoever's) axe, I want mine.

As for Teles, Jeff Beck's is cool but I don't want his or a replica. His specs would be enough for me.

Ymmv.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alas, I won't be shelling out a cool grand for this instrument. I have to think old Joe would be spinning in his grave over this calculated little move.

But it would still ring false to me.
Ironically....this is exactly what the salesman at the store said.

BTW: When I said that I was "impressed" by some of the relicing it was that it seemed very "real" and I admire their technical skills /techniques to be able to produce this false aging.

Dave

·
Registered
247 Posts
I like reliced guitars.

Would I fork out a boatload of money for a relic? No.

Would I ever buy a relic copy of someone else's guitar? No.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This one looks a "little" made up to me, a tad overdone.

Why not just buy the tele you really like to play and has a great sound, put it on a guitar stand at arm's reach of your favorite spot on the couch, and every night for the next 30 years hold it, caress it & play it. If it takes a couple hits from the vacuum cleaner because your better half is jealous of it and your kids run their Tonkas into it it all helps, and it all has a story.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Personally, I think that 20 years down the road, the collectors will still be paying big bucks for guitars in pristine condition. Sellers of reliced guitars will probably be met with, "you did WHAT? to make it look WHAT?!!!!...WHY????"

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Personally, I think that 20 years down the road, the collectors will still be paying big bucks for guitars in pristine condition. Sellers of reliced guitars will probably be met with, "you did WHAT? to make it look WHAT?!!!!...WHY????"
Or the refinish business gets a boost

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Or the refinish business gets a boost
It wasn't that long ago that refinishing was also considered a no-no among the so-called serious collectors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts