The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize y'all have seen a million of these but I'm really liking this tuner. They are a bit big but I was finding the other ones too hard to read on the floor no matter what their merits.

And, if you ever get to the point where you can't get the strobe wheel to stop spinning then it's a good indication that you might have drank too much.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Love mine - though I have the older model. It's even bigger, wider mostly (also has a DI output unlike this guy IIRC.... not a particularly big selling point).

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one has an XLR output and DI switch but yeah, not something I'm gonna be using any time soon. I have their clip on but the wheel on it is more skittish. The pedal tuner is just one two and it's in.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
And, if you ever get to the point where you can't get the strobe wheel to stop spinning then it's a good indication that you might have drank too much.
Had that happen to me one night. Turns out, when I got home, the bed was spinning too. So I guess the tuner wasn't the problem. Or at least not the only problem.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
The only thing missing is a built in microphone for acoustic guitars without electronics.
It is by far my most accurate tuner.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Love mine - though I have the older model. It's even bigger, wider mostly (also has a DI output unlike this guy IIRC.... not a particularly big selling point).
I have one as well. I agree the DI is not all that useful in my universe but the size is not an issue for me as I always used the included mic stand clip.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing missing is a built in microphone for acoustic guitars without electronics.
It is by far my most accurate tuner.
The Peterson clip on is pretty good for acoustic guitars.

The pedal is a helluva size kinda belongs on the floor so a mic on it may not be something that would get used too often.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The Peterson clip on is pretty good for acoustic guitars.

The pedal is a helluva size kinda belongs on the floor so a mic on it may not be something that would get used too often.
I've yet to find a clip on that's as accurate as the Stroboclip for my use. That said it doesn't like another guitar being played while tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
My first good tuner from the ‘80’s did everything quite well and still works today. It has a built in microphone. I still use this tuner for the initial setting up of guitars, when I need a tuner to stay on a long time. It is a little easier on the eyes while tweaking bridge adjustments.

The Peterson is always on the main pedal board, always on, ready to tweak a quick correction, or show me the note played while figuring out a song.
3FF0BF68-DDFB-419F-88C9-D34C31B03492.jpeg

The old Boss still has its place and a job to do. I need a larger sweep these days though.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
You can set a boss TU2 or Tu3 to strobe, and I bet the TC tuners do it too, if anyone prefers that type of tuner.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Main thing for me was being able to read it on the floor. Initially was gonna get the Boss but it was difficult for me to read. Most of them are accurate enough and sometimes you have to fine tune a bit by ear anyway if the intonation is a out or there’s one string that’s ugly so great accuracy isn’t always that important except for setups etc.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
The old Boss tuner replaced the tuning fork, and showed me that being in tune, allowed me to play by ear, and figure things out musically.

I am with Wardo on the Peterson. The sweetened tunings capabilities, large bright screen, just about make it the best damn tuner there is. It just lacks a microphone for my acoustics.

Between the two tuners and a good setup, you have the potential for a great guitar, and the ability to develop a good ear.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Tone Chaser, you can get a clip-on accessory that plugs into the 1/4” input for tuning your acoustics.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Tone Chaser, you can get a clip-on accessory that plugs into the 1/4” input for tuning your acoustics.
I would have to see what that looks like to source it out. If it is as simple as plugging a microphone into it, maybe I can stay focussed enough to learn new things.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
This is what came with my device.
It just plugs into the input jack and reads the vibes from your headstock like any other clip-on.

I've seen guys using it with other Peterson devices than mine as well so I am assuming it must be at least a little bit fairly standard issue.
I've never found one listed on the Peterson website as an accessory but it must be available by some means or another.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also like the Stomp Classic a lot. I use it with my electric bass, upright bass and guitars. I put it last in the signal chain and use the DI out to the PA. That way I can mute everything to tune in silence. The strobe of course will never stop completely because it is accurate enough to show you the true pitch as it changes. But you can get it pretty close to stable. It is quite visible even on an outdoor festival stage. I also use a clip-on as shown above if necessary. I also have a TC Electronics Polytune 2, which is also great.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The strobe on mine stops w/out a lot of difficulty; same with the strobe on the clip on although its a bit more skittish than the pedal. Maybe it's a bit less stable with bass or being last in the chain.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
You can set a boss TU2 or Tu3 to strobe, and I bet the TC tuners do it too, if anyone prefers that type of tuner.
Yes, the Polytune does that. So does the Korg Pitchblack.

The Polytune remembers the preference when it loses power, the Pitchblack does not (you'd have to keep a battery in it, I guess). So I pretty well always use the strobe setting on the Polytune and only use it about half the time with the Pitchblack, 'cause I forget to set it up initially and then get into playing and get lazy.

P

·
0 Posts
Main thing for me was being able to read it on the floor. Initially was gonna get the Boss but it was difficult for me to read. Most of them are accurate enough and sometimes you have to fine tune a bit by ear anyway if the intonation is a out or there’s one string that’s ugly so great accuracy isn’t always that important except for setups etc.
Are the sweetened tunings any good?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts