The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did it take you to change your last set of strings? Did you draw blood? If yes was it once, or more than once.

For me, lets just say it was under a hour and I drew blood,... twice. :mad:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
15 minutes and no blood. The only times I draw blood are when I try and reach for my electric without looking, and grab the headstock accidentally haha. Oh well.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Bass - 10 to 15 minutes, including tensilizing and tuning. No grief.
Guitar - double that. Bandaids are always nearby :D

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I can string an HLS 2 (because of the locking tuners) in about three minutes. Most other guitars around four or five minutes, if it has a floyd add a couple of minutes.

There has been the ocasional bit of blood, but not too often.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I suck at changing strings. I probably take about 20 minutes, but I just do it casually while I watch TV or something. I haven't drawn blood yet...so I must be doing something wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
10-12 minutes if I clean and hydrate the fretboard, otherwise 4 maybe 5 minutes. You guys that are taking 20 minutes, what are you doing that takes so long?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Bass - 10 to 15 minutes, including tensilizing and tuning. No grief.
Guitar - double that. Bandaids are always nearby :D
Hey Geek; What do you mean, "tensilizing"? Stretching them?

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
10-12 minutes if I clean and hydrate the fretboard, otherwise 4 maybe 5 minutes. You guys that are taking 20 minutes, what are you doing that takes so long?
Relaxing?

If I thought it was a race I could probably do a Strat in less than ten minutes.

In fifteen minutes the strings are on, stretched and tuned ready for a final tuning and stage.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Watching tv, or chatting with someone, probably having a beer, cleaning the bridge, lubing the saddles, cleaning and lubing the nut, sometimes giving the fretboard a quick oil, cleaning the top of the guitar while the strings are off, checking to make sure any screws are tight (pickguard, screws and nut on input jack etc).

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
A little over 5 minutes (I've had a lot of practice since I have changed pickups so often).

The new Valor has rear mounted pickups so I can change pickups to my heart's content without having to take the strings off. However its wraparound bridge caused the first string-change-breakage I've experienced (while stretching the high E). Damn, why can't you buy single strings in lots of a dozen or so??

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
20 minutes or so giving the neck and guitar a good cleaning and close inspection plus lubing up the nut with nut sauce and the saddles also if it's on a guitar with a trem. I avoid bloodletting as much as possible but sometimes shit happens.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cursing and swearing and drawing more blood when I wasn't watching what I was doing because I was cursing and swearing to begin with.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts