The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Ironic...I just watched that a few minutes ago.

I read about this method in the past, tried it, and was pleased. However, I thought it might not be the best approach as others that I mentioned it to looked at me with a degree of disapproval. I feel better now...LOL

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Im not convinced that its going to work for me BUT I will definitely give it a try .
G.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
advantage: quick, easy and always the right # of wraps. I think it would work with slotted posts.

disadvantage: you can't do the over/under thing (first wrap above the post hole/slot and rest below). I find this critical to tuning stability (some people go further, seen it mentioned here on this forum, with the mando style loop-back, which I don't bother with).

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was thinking about that, the last loop you wind is the first one you would normally wind, so you can move that above the hole when you poke the end through.

The full loop-back, I've seen more than one versions of that. The lighter strings you could push back through the hole. What other loop-backs are there?

You could do this, too.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
I've always wound them like that.

Two wraps on the wound strings, three on the unwound, then tighten.
Vintage slotted tuners don't work with this method.

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
My guess is that the strings will take longer to settle this way.

You're less likely to get kinks.
If you keep things taught as you do it, and stretch them afterwards I don't see there being too much of a difference.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
Wow. I like that method. So much easier and less frustration.

I just changed my strings, next time!

P

·
0 Posts
Locking tuners on the Tronical Tuners... When using tremolos you don't want to have much more than 1/2 wind. Robot tuners are so mindless. I love them. I have them on my top 4 guitars.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
I far prefer Fender's vintage style, slotted tuners but when I have to string a guitar with normal tuners I use the method below and it works great:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts