The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am toying around with the idea changing from a round-wounds to a flat-wounds on my Fender 4 String Jazz Bass. I am looking for a softer, lower and mellow jazz sound and feel. Any recommendations for strings models that would achieve that sound?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Flats will definitely get you that soft and mellow sound on a jazz, not to mention a real old school sound. I have tried flats on both my jazz and P and prefer rounds so I can't really make any suggestions for you.

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
Tried most of the most common brands over the years and have settled happily on D'Addario Chromes Flatwounds. Long lasting, smooth sounding, responsive, and nice on the fingers.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went with the only set of flats I could find - Fender - so far, so good, but they're not really broken in yet (still a little too much zing).

Btw, I never considered 'long lasting' when looking for flats - isn't that kind of redundant? :tongue:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
hammer744 said:
I went with the only set of flats I could find - Fender - so far, so good, but they're not really broken in yet (still a little too much zing).

Btw, I never considered 'long lasting' when looking for flats - isn't that kind of redundant? :tongue:
Don't flats need to age for about 10 years?

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
Re: long lasting. Sure many seem like they last, but not all of them will still intonate well after hard wear and tear. Your milage may vary.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I suggest trying TI Jazz Flats. They last a long time and seem to get more musical with age. They have less tension than most flats including Chromes which are also good. Another set I really liked were Lakland JO Flats. Very nice and deep sounding.

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
Fwiw, I'm very serious about the intonation issue, and it's a bit of a soapbox issue for me.

Any string can be tuned open, even reasonably accurate at certain frets, but my experience is that not everyone hears how bad intonation can be at bass frequencies, especially at stage or band volumes and with other noise about. Students have complained to me that they start to hear their basses go out of tune, and blame the instrument or its set-up before they consider strings. Bass string don't last forever. They don't break as much or go dead as fast, but do they still intonate?

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mooh said:
Fwiw, I'm very serious about the intonation issue, and it's a bit of a soapbox issue for me.
In my case you are preaching to the choir. To me a long lasting flat is anything that lasts more than 8 months. Cheers :food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
Fenderman...Sorry, I was intending that as a geneal comment, not aimed at you specifically. Mooh.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, I bought a set of D'Addario XL Chromes Flatwounds yesterday and restrung my bass this morning. So far I am very very happy with them. They have the sound I was looking for and they feel so smoooooth - got to love that! Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts