The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I put 10-52's on my Tele or my Jaguar would I need to tune down a half step so it won't over stress neck or will it be ok if I tune them standard?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Add how are the new Dunlop strings? Anyone try them?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Ophidian said:
I'm wondering if I put 10-52's on my Tele or my Jaguar would I need to tune down a half step so it won't over stress neck or will it be ok if I tune them standard?
If you are moving up a gauge you might want to get it setup again.

You may need a little less relief in the neck, along with nut slots resized for the bigger strings.

But to answer you original question your Tele or Jaguar with handle that guage just fine in standard tuning.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll get it set up again when I do the switch.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had 9-46's on all my guitars but on my Jaguar when try the 9's the strings felt to thin so I figure 10-52 is the way to go. I'm going to keep my Tele the same for now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ophidian said:
I had 9-46's on all my guitars but on my Jaguar when try the 9's the strings felt to thin so I figure 10-52 is the way to go.
That's because the Jag neck is shortscale and so strings kind of feel one gauge lighter on it. As a rule of thumb,you go one gauge heavier on a short scaled guitar to get the same feel you would on a Strat or Tele, for example.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes sense. I learn something everyday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts