The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke a string on a guitar i boughr used. I have no clue what size the strings were. Do i have to get a setup along with putting new strings on as ots kinda a crap shoot if they would be the same size. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
No, just bring your guitar to your music shop and they can match up the one you broke. You can buy singles as well as sets. While you are there, ask them what size strings are on your guitar and what is recommended in case someone has put strings on it that are not suitable or make it harder to play.

·
Registered
14,377 Posts
A new set in your preferred gauge (or experiment & try a new one) would be the way to go (Well two ways you could go)

Reactions: Robert1950
P

·
0 Posts
Once you decide on a gauge perhaps invest in a couple of packs so if you break another string the party won't stop.

The lighter gauge strings are easier to play. Especially if you are starting out and your fingers get sore quickly.

Oh, and don't get sucked into expensive strings. Regular priced strings are perfect.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
I think it's time for a new set, too. If you've broke one, the others aren't far behind and don't owe you anything. I would buy a set of standard 9 gauge and 10 gauge and try them both over a month or two - see what suits you. And unless it's a Strat or non-Bigsby Tele or you're color blind, don't buy D'Addario's. You can thank me later.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Buy a few sets of 9/42, very easy to play because they are a small gauge. Your tone won't suffer from it. 99% chance they will fit the guitar, if electric. Is it ?

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Broke a string on a guitar i boughr used. I have no clue what size the strings were. Do i have to get a setup along with putting new strings on as ots kinda a crap shoot if they would be the same size.

Maybe, maybe not. The only way to figure it out is to put strings on and see how it plays. Or I suppose you could grab a set of calipers and measure the gauge of the sixth string as that will tell you what gauge they were.

But don't play the gauge the previous owner played, play what you find most comfortable. The only way to figure that out is through experimenting with various gauges.

L

·
0 Posts
My guess is that your guitar had 10's or heavier on them prior to changing them out.
Your fret buzz is due to the lighter gauge which also has less tension on the neck now creating back bow.
I would suggest taking it in to a guitar shop for a proper set up.
You can do it yourself if you feel comfortable with your skills.
Google 'setting up a guitar' and you'll find a lot of info and u-tube links showing how it's done.
It might be a good idea to watch a couple of vids just to understand what's involved.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My guess is that your guitar had 10's or heavier on them prior to changing them out.
Your fret buzz is due to the lighter gauge which also has less tension on the neck now creating back bow.
I would suggest taking it in to a guitar shop for a proper set up.
You can do it yourself if you feel comfortable with your skills.
Google 'setting up a guitar' and you'll find a lot of info and u-tube links showing how it's done.
It might be a good idea to watch a couple of vids just to understand what's involved.
I have a set of 10s im gonna try out first. If not shes going to the shop

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts