The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100, & the action is set really high but theirs still lots of string buzz on open strings. Is their anything that i could do to lower the action & eliminate the string buzz?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Unless the neck has no relief or it's bowed upwards, I'd check the bridge. Does it have the bridge with a wire running across the adjustment screws? The heads of the screws are probably rattling against the bridge and the wire. I'd start by very lightly tightening the screws until their heads rest against the bridge. Don't torque them or you'll have to reset the intonation. That should solve the problem for a while. That was the main source of buzz on my Epiphone. I eventually installed a Gotoh Nashville bridge and the buzz never returned.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
...Yes, Hamm is right about the nut.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, Hamm) If they are too deep, you'll get buzz near the neck and if they aren't deep enough (or the nut is too high), you'll get buzz near the bridge.

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
I had a problem with fret buzz. It was slight, but along most of the neck. It took it into a guitar shop. The neck was straight. Problem was the nut. It was a replacement in which the slots had been cut a little too deep. It had to be shimmed - problem gone.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My electrics all buzz unplugged, but my action is farely low. If you can't hear it through the amp I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah, all guitars will buzz a little from time to time (some more than others), especially when you don't fret the notes properly or when you pick the strings strongly.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
nope it's the strings, & the action is REALLY high

Is the buzz coming from the neck or the bridge? Does it happen on open strings or when you make a chord (and where along the neck)? Try picking the strings lightly, use a lighter pick, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the buzz coming from the neck or the bridge? Does it happen on open strings or when you make a chord (and where along the neck)? Try picking the strings lightly, use a lighter pick, too.
It's coming from the neck on open strings

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
set your action hiegth to as low as you desire it (before it starts buzzing on fretted notes) as aparently your are buzzing on the open strings regardless of the string height.

Then determine if the nut is worn or cut too deep, and also rule out that the buzzing is not a piece of hardware or a loose or broken truss rod/nut. You can use surgical tubing in your ears like a stethescope it pinpoint where the sound is comming from, if you can't tell other wise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts