The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my SG into Long and Mcquade because my G string is constantly going out of tune and it sucks to try and even play a song on it.

The salesman at the store suggested I buy a String Butler as that would solve the situation. I think that this is just a bandage fix and doesn’t address the issues of the problem. Either the groove needs a file or the nut needs to be replaced. Cheezy suggested that if I need a nut replacement to go with a graphite nut as they are self lubricating. Btw my SG is a 95 so my question is, what is the nut made of? It is the original nut.

I told the sales guy that I need a phone call from guitar tech either way.

Has anybody else had this situation on their Gibson guitar?

I also bought some Gibson vintage strings last week. I really like them but I have changed the strings twice within a week due to the high E string just snapping. Could it have been a bad lot?

This time I bought Les Paul premium guitar strings/pure nickel wound. Got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
i always thought the gibby strings were too stiff. i like d'addario 9/46. that way i get the light top/heavy bottom. screaming leads, and heavy crunch. on the strats i used to go 11s on the bottom 9s on the tops, and i really liked it. but it was expensive because i had to buy 2 sets to get one set of strings

the string butler would probably help, but is (imo) a band-aid, just like you said. besides, adding weight to the headstock of an SG in never a good idea.

P

·
0 Posts
I bought a string butler for my SG. I will be switching from bone nut to a synthetic nut soon, but I will be buying a set of nut files so I can install my own. I think the string butler is a good idea, as it keeps the strings straight as they pass through the nut. I would recommend Ernie Ball Super Slinkys 9-42. That's what Angus Young uses.

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
If the nut is cut correctly it won't cause hang ups.

I use Ernie Ball Cobalt (10 ~ 46) and don't have any real problems, but guitars by their nature are hard to keep in tune.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
If it is going out ot tune quickly now and has not done so in the past, could it be a tuner or is the string slipping on the peg? It is possible the string has cut into the nut and is binding but that is not very likely. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
ACDC_Email_AngusFunko_121418.jpg

Imagine most EB Games will have some of these in January - but this was from some AC/DC email.

No, they won't help keep your guitar in tune...

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is going out ot tune quickly now and has not done so in the past, could it be a tuner or is the string slipping on the peg? It is possible the string has cut into the nut and is binding but that is not very likely. Hope this helps.
It’s always done this but not this bad. I have a trusted tech looking at it so I guess we’ll find out.

I did look at the peg while I got my son to strum and noodle around on it and I couldn’t see any slippage.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If you can bear it, try a wound G. It fixed that problem on my SG. That was ages and many guitars ago though....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had a bad pack of D’addarios that were unwinding at the ball end.
I bought a whole box of 10 packages that unravelled at the ball. They would play fine for maybe an hour. Then they'd start falling flat. Then you'd play for a half hour and have to retune back up. Then 20 minutes and retune back up. Then 15 minutes. Then 10 minutes. The more often you re-tuned them back up to pitch the faster they would unravel until at some point a string would sproing-oing loose from the bridge and a ball would "tick" on the floor and roll away. Since I didn't keep the B.O.S. the store wouldn't refund me. I contacted D'Addario and they didn't even want to talk about it. They acted like they couldn't care less. It was the last time I ever bought anything by D'Addario and I never will again. Ever.

Reactions: High/Deaf
1 - 20 of 71 Posts