The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few parts together for a little strat project and stumbled upon some Gotoh tuning machines with staggered pole heights which eliminate the need for string trees (pretty sure Schaller and Sperzel also have some). I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this area - any pros or cons?

Thanks!
Joe

·
Registered
596 Posts
My recently aquired Suhr S came with Gotoh Kluson vintage style with no trees / staggered poles. Seems to work great, the most stable tuning I've ever experienced in a Strat-like guitar. Though I'm sure the bridge / rest of the guitar also has something to do with stable tuning.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have the Gotoh staggered tuners on my Strat, but I still use the string trees. Not enough angle over the nut without them, IMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
String winds

I have found that staggered tuners work fine especially if you wind the string aroung the pole as many times as you can. you can't get to many on the 4th, 5th, and 6th with Sperzels, but no matter what, they are much better than trees.

I

·
0 Posts
Robboman said:
My recently aquired Suhr S came with Gotoh Kluson vintage style with no trees / staggered poles. Seems to work great, the most stable tuning I've ever experienced in a Strat-like guitar. Though I'm sure the bridge / rest of the guitar also has something to do with stable tuning.
Wow. Is the headstock angled? If it's not I'm surprised the higher strings don't slip off the nut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts