The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help trying to figure out output on a set of pickups. I have some CV 60's in my Strat and from what i read they measure; neck 5.9 , middle 6.1 and bridge 6.45. My question is if i get a set that measure neck 5.7 middle 5.2 and bridge 5.3 can i expect a different tone. Thanks and much appreciate info as it is very confusing.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, they are completely different. Fender pickups that have been re-wound.

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
Chances are they'll sound different. There are tons of factors relating to construction and materials that alter the way pickups sound.

·
Premium Member
17,312 Posts
Do both of the pickup sets you are comparing have Ceramic or AlNiCo magnets.

If there is a difference in the magnets between the two sets, you might hear a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do both of the pickup sets you are comparing have Ceramic or AlNiCo magnets.

If there is a difference in the magnets between the two sets, you might hear a difference.
Good question Dave. I can only assume that they are different. I really am looking for a vintage sound i guess. Not sure if the pickups i am looking at will have a 'vintage' tone to them. I guess i will have to try them out and see.

·
Premium Member
17,312 Posts
I guess i will have to try them out and see.
IMO, trying them is the only real solution.
Your ears will be the best judge
(DOH..sometimes I am so skilled at stating the obvious..LOL)
Please let us know your findings.

Good Luck on getting the tone you are looking for.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I doubt you will be pleased. All things being equal, the hottest pickup usually goes in the bridge position. The reason for this is that the string has less amplitude as it nears a support point (bridge/nut). I am guessing that you will have a hard time balancing the output across all 3 pickups. Unless this is what you're going for, the neck pickup will be loud and the bridge will not be able to keep up. Barring some radical height adjustment, if possible.

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
Like Jim says, all other things being equal. Such matched sets, unless seriously boutique, will use polepieces of the same composition, and magnetized to the same strength. Since the bridge pickup is not placed in a way to sense the higher-amplitude vibrations of the string, they are generally provided with more windings/turns on the coil; output being commensurate with the number of turns. If the coilform and wire gauge are identical, then DC resistance corresponds to the number of turns, and higher DC resistance will be correlated with relative output. The greater output of the bridge pickup should provide roughly equal guitar output, when switching from the bridge to neck pickup or back again.

If one were to flip the order/position of the pickups, this would have the effect of exaggerating output level differences between neck and bridge, as opposed to equating them. In fairness, one could always lower the level of the neck pickup and raise the bridge pickup to compensate for the differential sensitivity of the two pickups, or stick a series resistance between the neck PU and volume pot. BUt that's probably more experimentation than you want to get into.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks folks. Much appreciate all the info. As usual, i am more confused now and will wait until i have a chance to try out a few types and models in Strats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts