The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a couple of days of downtime over the holidays, I thought I’d try to complete at least one of my 100 guitar and amp projects. I’ve been wanting to try a variety of strat pickups and have accumulated a few sets and individual ones to try. The pictured pickups were sold to me as coming from a Fender JV ‘62 RI, but I am doubting that for a few reasons. The pickguard looks stock factory, the switch is 5-position, so that should narrow things down. Any thoughts?

Note that I am not worried about authenticity relative to what I was sold — it was inexpensive and as long as they work, I want to try a variety anyway. But I do want to know what they are so that things aren’t completely random when I hear these on the target guitar. Many thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Electronics are most likely from 80's, pickups are not from JV because they would be alnico. I'm guessing from a squire 80's because they used ceramic, however squire and JV at that time did use the same factory at that time.
The pickguard is not form Japan looks like stock from fender USA, japan did not use shielding at the time. Try removing the a nut from the pot, if I recall correctly the threaded collar does not fit snug in the holes drilled in a USA pickguard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm guessing it's a pickguard is from a deluxe strat because of the square shielding and there's not hole from the truss rod adjustment?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So yes, why I also didn’t think it was JV pickups is because those are not alnico magnets, but ceramic. It is interesting that you believe they are from the 80s regardless — I sort of assumed pickguard and pickups where both stock and that label date code on the pickguard is 2007, is it not? I’ll take a look at the pot holes later tonight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
So yes, why I also didn’t think it was JV pickups is because those are not alnico magnets, but ceramic. It is interesting that you believe they are from the 80s regardless — I sort of assumed pickguard and pickups where both stock and that label date code on the pickguard is 2007, is it not? I’ll take a look at the pot holes later tonight.

Thanks!
It reminds me of a squire (the one with the transition logo) but not the export ones, the metal springs are accurate and the little red dot on the pickups reminds me of something I've seen... not sure. There has been soldering work on the ground wire and switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts