The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
oh yeah 80s FJs are among my favorites...but be careful...there are some low end models too. The higher up you go the better the quality of parts and wood used...not a news flash. All of mine were bought in Japan and I beilive domestic models...I`ve read they exported mostly basswood, but the ones I have are ash, alder or sen... my strat with tele neck may be basswood, not sure because it is stamped a custom order but who would order a basswood guitar eh? Can`t see any of the wood grain in the pockets as they are covered in paint, but I don`t really care `cause it`s so cool. Now, I`m not saying basswood is bad, my Yamaha USA II is basswood with a maple cap and it`s great. But I do love my FJs, I also have a couple of CIJs that have the flimsy electronics but all my 80s FJs have full size pots and good electronics...so somewhere down the line they decided to change to cheaper electronics. But ya don`t even have to go to the real high end FJ stuff to find a good one...I recently got a 1985 TL72-55 thats excellent. But if you ever see an ExTrad...buy it immediately, they are supremely rare and were the FJ custom shop made to order strats and teles.. the custom editions can be real good too, both series have stickers on the back of the headstock I.D.ing so don`t be fooled by sellers.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
The thing with the pots is weird. It's so cheap to replace them, I don't see why they just don't have them in the guitars stock. The craftmanship and the finish on the current CIJ's are fantastic. As are the hardware and pickups. Then they go and put cheap little pots in the guitar!

·
Premium Member
13,289 Posts
torndownunit said:
The thing with the pots is weird. It's so cheap to replace them, I don't see why they just don't have them in the guitars stock. The craftmanship and the finish on the current CIJ's are fantastic. As are the hardware and pickups. Then they go and put cheap little pots in the guitar!

That's were the accountants come in. $5 on 10,000 units is $50Gs.

Then these accountants go and shell out $10000 on a limited run Jeff Beck Fender Esquire that they pluck at for a half hour every weekend. ( I have a friend who's a Chartered Accountant. But he's a sax player ) :D

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
My personal fav's are Teles - and my favorite model is the Muddy Waters edition. I never thought that I would buy a MIM guitar but the workmanship and quality on this guitar blows away a lot of my MIA Telecasters and it plays and sounds like a dream:

If you want to go the strat route, don't miss checking out G&L Legacy's. I own a strat and a G&L Legacy and again Leo's new creation blows my strat away. These are hand built guitars made in the U.S.A.. When Fender uses this method of building guitars they're called Custom Shop and you pay an extra $1000.00 at least. Just another option for you.

·
Registered
526 Posts
sneakypete said:
oh yeah 80s FJs are among my favorites...but be careful...there are some low end models too. The higher up you go the better the quality of parts and wood used...not a news flash. All of mine were bought in Japan and I beilive domestic models...I`ve read they exported mostly basswood, but the ones I have are ash, alder or sen... my strat with tele neck may be basswood, not sure because it is stamped a custom order but who would order a basswood guitar eh? Can`t see any of the wood grain in the pockets as they are covered in paint, but I don`t really care `cause it`s so cool. Now, I`m not saying basswood is bad, my Yamaha USA II is basswood with a maple cap and it`s great. But I do love my FJs, I also have a couple of CIJs that have the flimsy electronics but all my 80s FJs have full size pots and good electronics...so somewhere down the line they decided to change to cheaper electronics. But ya don`t even have to go to the real high end FJ stuff to find a good one...I recently got a 1985 TL72-55 thats excellent. But if you ever see an ExTrad...buy it immediately, they are supremely rare and were the FJ custom shop made to order strats and teles.. the custom editions can be real good too, both series have stickers on the back of the headstock I.D.ing so don`t be fooled by sellers.
it's funny, I like basswood droptop teles the most. imo they slay MIA teles.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There's no question a player really should have both.
Someone said a Tele is versatile. So true. You will be amazed at the sounds a Tele can produce, country, rock, jazz and blues. Its their tone control that really works the magic.
I believe there are some amazing American made Strats and Teles out there but they are very very expensive and everybody who knows about the Japanese Strats and Teles will tell you they are very very good guitars with much more reasonable prices. You won't be missing out on a thing.
Personally though I went for both being MIJ Strat and CIJ Tele.
MIM's I didn't and don't have the confidence.
Benee Wafers

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yea having both ends the debate about which one to buy. I will agree that some of the MIJ fenders are just as nice as the MIA. I have a MIJ strat a 68 re-issue made sometime in the mid 80's. It is a lovely guitar and the hardware was the same as the MIA strats at the time. I replaced the pups with fralins as they are the sweetest sounding singles I've heard and upgraded the trem with a Callaham vintage trem. As for the tele I have a 67 with the only mods being the pups which I replaced a couple years back with Custom shop Texas tele pups and it sounds great. The 4 way switch mod for the tele offers a pretty cool sound by running both pups in series, almost like a P90. Anway couldn't live without either of them.. and I wouldn't like to have to choose between one or the other.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts