The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a epiphone dot studio last fall and can't seem to get the tone I wan't I play mainly classic rock some blues and folk. I can't describe exactly what I'm searching for but this one doesn't do it for me.The neck also warped and was adjusted once was good for a few months now the second and third frets buzz on the top two strings.So maybe a change is in order.Briefly tried a Fender, can't remember what model it was silver and about $700.My wife was waiting impatiently so I didn't have much time,maybe next weekend.So on to my question,whats the difference between a telecaster and a stratocaster,I probably can't afford either but might be able to manage a good quality clone. Thanks Don

·
Registered
788 Posts
for a classic rock, blues guitar I would have to go with a strat. I can not recommend a clone, because you will always want the real deal. I think its cheaper to just get the real thing once and not go through buying a selling clones without ever being satisfied. play the DOT tell you can afford a great guitar.

.2cents

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
SCREEM said:
for a classic rock, blues guitar I would have to go with a strat. I can not recommend a clone, because you will always want the real deal. I think its cheaper to just get the real thing once and not go through buying a selling clones without ever being satisfied. play the DOT tell you can afford a great guitar.

.2cents

+1... spend your money once.

although a tele can whip a storm also...:rockon:

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Strat or Tele???

That's like having to choose between your kids;)

Get both.....I did. As a matter of fact, several times over. :rockon:

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
strat or tele

Yeah both now that sounds good i'll try to convinve my wife, not a chance, but thanks for the advice,I think I will get the epiphone fixed and save up for a strat or tele. Don

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
SCREEM said:

.2cents

I have played a good many "clones" that were better than most Strats.

Often for less money.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I agree with the others.
Spend a bit of money on your Epi, you might be surprised at the tone you can get out of it. Pots and caps (cheap), maybe pickups (a bit more, watch the For Sale section on here for some good used ones).
Get a good setup, or learn to do it yourself. Get the frets dressed if they need it.

And, a bit more $, what are you using for an amp? Often that is really where the tone is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strat or tele

I've got a VOX AD15VT amp it was fairly cheap $230 I think it will do a lot of different things maybe too many.I'm getting a friend to come over with his guitar I think his is a Takamine and we'll find out if it's the guitar or the amp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think there is no better guitar than a stat!!! If it is played right. There are lots of great players out there who are not prof musicians. Jeff Guelf from Vancouver, Brian Cherrington from Edmonton/Vancouver, Pat Williams from Toronto just to name a few..

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I was a kid I believed that a tele was an old man’s guitar. Not that it made any difference to me. I would only play guitars with humbucking pickups.

I tried very hard to get strats to work for me but I kept running into the same problems.

That [email protected] middle pup was right in the way of my pick. And I kept turning down the volume control when I was palm muting.

I would buy a strat …try to make it work….give up…. sell it…then try again in a few years.

Once I traded a late seventies strat for a 63 SG special. It was the best deal I could get and I wasn’t too happy about it. The SG had P-90’s and I was a humbucking guy.

It was a back up for an 82 USA first series Warlock and a 69 ES -335. Well it turned out to be one hell of a back up.

I was slowly making the transition from humbucking to single coil pickups.

Today all my guitars (two of them) have single coils…the newest guitar I own is made in 1968.

A telecaster has none of the strat problems . No middle pup…volume control is out of the way.

I am now old so the telecaster suits me very well.

My other guitar is quite popular with younger players because some guy named Billie Joe plays a 57.

This one is a 55:

I envy guys who can play strats.

Best regards,

Brian

·
Registered
140 Posts
Squier

Unless your'e a Logo snob i suggest trying out a squier strat(standard series)these axes are a real bang for the buck! they are a Stratocaster just built (over there) I have a few and some of my buddies can't tell the diff from the squier to the Mia strat. These ARE a strat but with a pup upgrade you build a real screamer !!

·
Registered
90 Posts
hoser said:
the 80's MIJ squire strats were alright.
Just sold my 84? MIJ Squier to a good friend. After replacing the pups and electronics, I really didn't want to part with it. Played and sounded amazing.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
The MIM strats and teles are great deals if you find one you like the feel of. Personally, I ended up getting a HW1 Tele and couldn't be happier. As for the old strat vs. tele debate - purely a matter of personal taste. I prefer the simplicity of the tele and I'm not a huge fan of whammy bars. Having said that, I'm sure I'll eventually add a strat to my arsenal because they are capable of some sweet mellow tones...

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
First of all I am a Tele fan. It's all personal preference. Just don't believe anyone who tells you Teles aren't versitile, which seems to be a common misconception. In my opinion they are one of the most versitile guitars out there. You just have to look at the variety of artists that have used them to show that.

Japanese Fenders are still one of the best values out there. The construction/woods are on par with USA made ones, they have the same hardware, and the stock pickups are better than what comes in Mexican made Fenders (mine came with Texas Specials). The only thing that is a little weak in them is the pots, which is an easy fix. You can import these for less money than one of the MIM Classic series Fenders though (like a 69' Reissue or a 72' Reissue). They cost half of what a MIA Fender does. They also offer some unique models that Fender USA doesn't offer. And for something like a 52 Reissue, there is no MIM version. The only one is the $2000 MIA one.

Here is my 2004 CIJ Fender 52' Reissue.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts