Votes: 274 51.6%
  • Stratocaster

Votes: 257 48.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
tele, definitely...but very specific teles (80's MIJ drop top basswood).
I've owned numerous strats and ended up selling them all. they just don't do it for me, no matter how good they feel.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for in a sound. The early 60s sound in Toronto was very much defined by the Telecaster - Robbie Robertson with Ronnie Hawkins and Dom Troiano - Very R&B - very screaming. That's what everyone bought back then - all the best axe player played teles.

The Tele has also been the choice of chicken pickers and manic country players.

The Strat was initially surf, and then,,, JIMI !!!

But then there were blues players - like Albert Collins - A fat tele

Then there was Buddy Guy - a strat man.

Give it some thought.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Even though I'm pretty much a Gibson guy, I do have a nice Strat.

I prefer the double coil sound (2 and 4 on the switch) of the Strat to the sound of the Tele, but long ago I had a '56 Tele that had been modded to a Gibson P90. Wowzers. Sure wish I'd kept that one.

While so many of our guitar gods are Strat Slingers, let me add a couple to the Tele list:
- Jimmy Page (wasn't LZ1 recorded with a Tele?)
- Jeff Beck (I can't remember if he ended up with Page's, or if it was the other way around, or a different one. Might have been an Esquire - pre-tele)
- Mike Bloomfield (Paul Butterfield Blues band 1st album I believe was a tele).

Some of the guys that we associate Les Pauls with, should also be associated with Tele's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A Strat a Tele and a Les Paul,I like a lot of guys it seems have to once at least have one of each.The Les Pauls will kill your back at times but I like them the best.

·
Registered
788 Posts
STRAT!!! with a proper setup...I.E. a whammy that stays in tune, if it doesn't then TELE, because constant re-tuning sucks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This has turned out to be an interesting thread. There have been referrences to Page, Beck, Robbie Robertson, and others. So many played the Tele that it would be impossible to name all. I would like to mention one name, Roy Buchanan, I don't think anyone will ever play like him. And if legend is true he was brought to Canada to 'show' Robbie how to play, I don't know how true that is , but it's what I've read on the net. At any rate If you have not heard Roy Buchanan, do give this man a listen. RIP 'Buck', Thanks for the music.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'd be hard pressed to choose. Strats are a little more versatile whereas Tele's kind of have their own unique thing going on. My cousin has a late 60's Tele that's REAL sweet...

But, being a mahagony/humbucker junkie, a Strat or Tele will always be my "other" guitar. My #1 will always be SG-ish.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Well if your talking about tele pickers then don't forget Danny Gatton and what about the Hellcasters a tele trio....:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I also don't like teles. They do have a nice sound, but IMO they're the ugliest things ever.:sport-smiley-002:

1 - 20 of 314 Posts