The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Strat or Paul -- which works for this song?

• The Strat of course

Votes: 66 44.0%
  • The Les Paul wins it

Votes: 74 49.3%
  • Who cares? It sucks either way!

Votes: 10 6.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 104 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the interests of keeping things rolling around here...
Which do you prefer:
The Strat or The Les Paul?
(It makes sense if you watch the videos)

Me: the Strat. It just doesn't have the right haunting shimmer on the Paul. It's too round around the edges. It needs the snap with the clean tone to really feel just perfect.

·
Premium Member
16,517 Posts
Neither.

Both are great but both have limitations. I'd take a Strat over a Les Paul but personally I prefer a Hum-Sing-Hum with coil taps (best of both worlds).

Let's face it, a Strat is much better than a Les Paul at clean tones and a Les Paul is better at overdriven and high gain, high sustain tones.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's very cool that some of you have an opinion about which guitar is better, but the question was very specific, which guitar better suits the particular performer, doing a particular piece of music?

so I voted, for the strat and I think this is actually a really cool thread.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I like the Paul on this particular tune. Of course there are a lot of other variables involved (i.e. amps and effects)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I voted Lester.

I have both + a Tele.

They are different apples and oranges.

That's easy everybody kows that oranges are better.

They sustain better.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The strat tone is way better for this particular song to my ears. The Les Paul tone is a little on the gritty side and it does not cut through the mix nearly as well. I'm not a big fan of mahogany guitars for a clean tone.

There are a number of other factors here as well, the mix, the gear and they are two totally different Mark K-noppel-ers.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
The strat tone is way better for this particular song to my ears. The Les Paul tone is a little on the gritty side and it does not cut through the mix nearly as well. I'm not a big fan of mahogany guitars for a clean tone.

There are a number of other factors here as well, the mix, the gear and they are two totally different Mark K-noppel-ers.
Yea, no cool headband in the Lester clip

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agh, this is a really hard choice... It really depends on the application, I can find so many situations where I'd prefer a strat, but I can also find just about the same number of situations where I'd prefer a Lester.
I'm talking specifically about Wild Theme -- those video links are to Knopfler playing it on a Strat and then on a Les Paul.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's very cool that some of you have an opinion about which guitar is better, but the question was very specific, which guitar better suits the particular performer, doing a particular piece of music?

so I voted, for the strat and I think this is actually a really cool thread.

Andy
Andy got it! It's not about what's better in general. It's about what's better in Knopfler's hands on a specific Knopfler song. It's rare you get a chance to put a song back-to-back with the same performer doing a similar arrangement but with two wildly different guitars and sounds.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've always preferred the strat shape and feel personally...but I like the tone of les pauls too. Ultimately i'd like to have a variety of guitars to play around with but my 'main' axes will always be super strats.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I used to really hang out with my strat an awful lot but since I have tried a few LP's I really like the feel of the shorter scale and set neck.

also the tone and sustain....:D

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Gibson SG, but if I had to choose, it would be the LP by a nose.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts