The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Tele but this is my favorite sound; the clean Strat neck position. Is there a pickup that can fit in a Tele without routing that can do that?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I think the 3 brass saddles is where the tele "sound" comes from. Maybe if you changed the bridge?

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Excellent combo. I just installed a Strat pickup in my Tele's neck position myself. I didn't have to do any routing, but if I had to, I wouldn't hesitate using the depth stop of a press and a good, sharp forstner bit for clean, predictable routing. I have heard/read the "twisted Tele" neck was supposed to be Strat-like...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I think the 3 brass saddles is where the tele "sound" comes from. Maybe if you changed the bridge?
Might be something to this. I have a 63 Relic (ash body, round lam RW board) with steel saddles & the stock neck pickup sounds like a Strat.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
my wildwood 52 thin skin has the Custom shop twisted tele in the bridge and neck. The neck pup alone sounds to me, very much strat like. Some say it is more p90 but I as well as many others think its more neck-strat like.

·
Registered
155 Posts
DiMarzio Twang King gets very Strat-like, and is fairly inexpensive. As mentioned, the bridge and lack of vibrato bar spring "sproing" sound add their own flavours.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I don't want to sound 'exactly' like my Peavy Strat (mine has Fender pups in it), just trying to get it a bit closer.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I have a MIM tele with stock SD pups in it: I am sure the neck pup was strat spec'd....

recently I killed the pup, got it rewound ( as a tele pup ) and it doesn't sound nearly as good!!

it sounded JUST like a strat, before. I had no idea tele neck pups were different than strats, until this happened :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fender Nashville tele's have a strat pup in the middle. Probably be lot's of Youtube clips on it.
I have one...the previous generation type (2002). The Tex-Mex pickups in the neck and bridge were cheapo garbage. The middle is decent. I have a Lollar Special T in the bridge, a Twang King in the neck, and the stock middle pickup. You can cover a lot of ground with that combo.

·
Premium Member
25,178 Posts
My Nashville Turser Tele has a Strat pickup in the middle and a sort of Strat at the neck. I wound it myself, but using Tele-neck flatwork, since the polepieces are just a smidgen too wide apart at the neck on many Teles. Keep in mind that the original design of the Tele included a pickup that was meant to provide duller-sounding tone for rhythm work. So a Strat neck pickup will liven things up.

The Fender Jerry Donahue Telecaster uses a Strat neck pickup, but includes an additional switch position. When the neck pickup is wired out of phase with the bridge, but also passes through a cap to take out much of the bass, the result is a startling close emulation of the neck+middle "cluck" of a Tele, without requiring a 3rd pickup.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have a MIM tele with stock SD pups in it: I am sure the neck pup was strat spec'd....
Just put a SD vintage in the neck of a MIM standard tele. Although it cleaned up the tone the out put is lower than the stock Fender bridge pup. Now you got to ride the volume when changing positions . Not a great mod.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I ordered a set of Tele pickups for a 52 Re-Issue from Rumpelstiltskin and asked Aaron for a Strat sounding neck pickup. The pickup he made for me isn't on his website but it sounded very Strat like, exactly what I was looking for.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts