The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I swapped pickguards on 2 of my strats. One I still have to trim some extremely long pickup adjustment screws so it hasn't been finished yet. The other now hums in 2, 3, and 4. Perfectly silent in 1 and 5. It never hummed on the other guitar. I copied it over wire for wire. The only difference being the one that hums was a double humbucker and is now a 3 single coil. Since it's a Strat, the pickups were already mounted and only wiring had to be dealt with to the jack and grounding. The single coil pickguard had one more ground than the humbucker pickguard. I screwed it into the bridge pup pocket as the first had it. I soldered the long ground to the trem block and made sure my jack solders were good and solid. Why would it now hum in the middle 3 positions, if I followed the reverse of taking it off?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just discovered something that may well be relevant. I tried plugging it in again and touching around on anything metal. When in positions 2, 3, and 4 the buzz goes away if I touch the pickup mounting/adjustment screws on bridge and neck but the buzz doesn't stop if I touch the middle pickup screws. Before I rip it apart again, does this sound like the culprit. Having changed no wiring to the pickups at all, I don't get why all of a sudden it buzzes. Not quietly either. A very audible buzzing.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed it !!! I just took it apart again, ensured all soldered connections were tight and that the jack was wired properly. I was absolutely sure I did nothing wrong, and pulling it apart told me I didn't. BUT.....................I decided to regroup some wires so less of a "birds nest" under the PG.......one ground wire (although it was not bare) off lower tone know was resting against another ground point. I put it back together and now there is no hum. I am hoping it really was that simple. Otherwise, it'll either come back, or whatever was really causing it was "corrected" during removal.

·
Premium Member
17,875 Posts
Congrats! Humming/grounding related issues can be a PITA and can drive you crazy trying to reduce/eliminate them.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I made coffee and researched the heck out of this, all to no avail. I asked here since it's a hotbed of guitar knowledge. Once the views started and no replies, I thought "uh-oh.......it's either terminal, or unheard of". Everything I found online was either hum at 1-3-5 or 2-4 not 2-3-4. ARGH!!!! I'll keep playing it, and shaking it to see if it comes back. Hoping not though. But I can now disassemble and reassemble my 2 strats with the strings still on. :)

·
Premium Member
17,875 Posts
But I can now disassemble and reassemble my 2 strats with the strings still on. :)
Do either of your Strats have a swimming pool route (that makes it easier) or an overlap of the pick guard by the end of the fretboard (that is a total pain)?

Can you take the loaded guard off the body and work on the electronics without having to unsolder the trem ground or the jack terminals? Think long wires for each.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bodies are both routed for HSH so plenty of room to move wires around. I can flip the PG over without detaching from the tremblock. Both PG sit slightly under the end of the neck. So it can't be taken off without taking the neck off. I used a capo to hold the strings tight near the nut after loosening the strings into flop mode. I learned a bit doing this. It was fun just as much as a pain.

·
Premium Member
17,875 Posts
Both PG sit slightly under the end of the neck. So it can't be taken off without taking the neck off.
I hate this design concept and am considering cutting my pick guard to almost clear the end of the fretboard. My Strat is HSS and the is neck is solidly attached and doesn't want to budge AT ALL. In addition, this Strat cost me $50.00 (with an amp). I have been learning and practicing fret end dressing on it.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As long as this humming doesn't come back, I don't think I'll be taking the pickguard off again. It's loaded with better pickups than I am player. It's a partcaster. Godin tele style neck, either Squier or MIM body. It used to be HH but this pickguard has made it more traditional. I put it together fairly inexpensively and by trading for bits and bobs.
The HH pickguard went onto a Squier Standard. The cool thing with the pickups on it is they are vintage Schecter pickups with history. Came out of the guitar from the lead guitarist from a band called Equus. Years ago now. You gotta be old(er) to remember them.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course I can't find them now that I want to find them. Oh well. The pickups are very full sounding. Full metal cover and fully epoxied inside. Had to special order a Warmoth pick guard for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts