The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up last week. The volume pot was swapped out for some reason. I wanted to put the original type pot back in and at the same time put the 3 way switch in.

So I bought a fender pure vintage pot like many times before, installed it and the 3 way switch at the same time. Now I have no sound!!

The pic of the switch below is what I went off. For some stupid I put the volume pot to lug 1(stage 2) to lug A in stage one. Plugged it in and had no sound from the pickups. Oops realized right away the issues. Fixed the problem and swapped lug 1(stage 2) to A(stage 2). Still no sound. I can turn the volume up and hear the amp hiss but tapping the coils I have no sound.
Text Font Line Parallel
Footwear Shoe

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet. I have a meter at work but not really sure where to start checking. Like from where to where.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Google showed me the way, lol. I’ll check tomorrow with my meter and see what’s going on.

·
Premium Member
18,779 Posts
Start at the output jack and work your way backwards.

I'm assuming the patch cable to amp portion of the signal path is fine (yes...it happens).

Some test/jumper wires can be helpful to have for troubleshooting.

Good Luck!

Hopefully you will find the cause of the problem quickly and it will be an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked for continuity from the jack ground to the volume pot, checked the lead to the volume pot, ok. Checked from the volume pot output to all pickups, selector positions, tone positions, all perfect. Checked grounds all over, no problem.

Then turned the volume pot all the way up, checked and found no continuity. Started turning it done and had continuity. Weird. So I went digging through the garbage for the bag that the new pot came in. Says fender no load split shaft. Cool. Not sure why I bought that one. Flip the tag over and the other side says fender pure vintage 250k pot.

Anyway I had another pot in my pile of parts, installed it and I now have a working guitar. Cool stuff.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I might for sure. Still cool how it was double tagged! I did not when the no load pot was full on 10 the was a little notch like. Then checked the package, oh well live and learn. I did learn how to check for continuity though, pretty sweet. Follow the path all the way through starting with the jack.

·
Premium Member
18,779 Posts
I did learn how to check for continuity though, pretty sweet.
Knowing how to check for continuity will always pay off with basic troubleshooting.

Is the meter at work your own or "theirs"? If you don't have one, consider asking this guy they call "Santa"

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No it’s mine and yes it was almost time to drop it off to a shop and have it looked it. Glad a gave it a little more time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts