The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of strap locks do you all use? I was looking @ the Dunlop and the DiMarzio ones... are they good? Is one better than the other? Are there other strap lock systems out there that are as good/better? What do you use?

How much should I expect to pay for straplocks? (Trying to make sure I'm getting the best price possible... spent too much money this month already...) Is it worth it to get stuff shipped from MF, do you think?

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I use Dunlop Lok Strap, that are like $2 a pair.

they work great IMO.:rockon:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I only use the Dunlops, the schaller nut always gets loose especially with a leather strap....all they'd have to do is use a lock nut with a delrin insert and they's have a great system. I have a warrior bass and a hamer guitar that have the old style straplocks recessed into the guitar.

Back in the days when I was on the road and money was super tight, the plastic bread tie became a strap lock on many occasions (usually when the schaller fell off....after the nut got loose) Those lokstraps kinda work the same way.

Andy

·
Registered
874 Posts
+1 on the Schaller's, used them on all my electrics and have never failed me.

Tarl

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
I use a little method I call "Coin 'O the Realm".

The cost is $0.50 per guitar and it is absolutely failsafe. The only way this fails is if the strap breaks. I've used it for more than twenty years including 11 years touring full time.

Also for what it's worth, I've done the "guitar spin" dozens of times with it.

This is what it looks like.

Here's how:

Remove the factory installed strap knobs.

Drill a hole through the center of a quarter large enough to allow the shaft of the screw from the strap knob to pass through but small enough to prevent the head of the screw from passing through.

Put the strap against the guitar.

Put the drilled quarter against the strap.

Drive the screw through both the quarter and the strap into the guitar.

Voila.

The fact that the quarter is much thinner than the strap knob allows the screw to penetrate more deeply into the guitar.

Also, if you decide to sell the guitar, the original strap knobs can be reinstalled with absolutely zero detectable impact to the guitar.

And yes, the guitar will fit in ANY case with the strap on.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've used Schallers and whatever it is the comes on Warwicks (I think Dunlops?). Both had issues with them becoming loose and working thier way through the strap hole. I guess if you check them regularily, you shouldn't have a problem.

This is by far the best I've used, and I've had it for years. It's gone from bass to bass for the last 15 years or so. I believe it is a Levy.

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Ingeneous Milkman. I like it. The price is right. :DevilGuitar:

Thanks. I consider the problem solved.

Although I came up with the idea on my own, I know many other guys who have figured out very similar methods.

The complaint some guys have is that you have to leave the strap on.

This seems pretty trivial to me. The guitar will fit in Any case with the strap left on and if you can't buy a strap for every guitar you have....

Also as you can see, it's very unobtrusive (doesn't stick out at all).

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have been buying schallers for every electric that I own (as well as a strap per guitar)...last evening when practicing bass I was putting the strap on my thankfully light beatle bass when the strap lock fell to pieces....it was distracting enough that I almost dropped the guitar...the top pin flew off....has anyone else had this happen........I have 8 sets of these installed at about $13.00 each, and I would hate to have to replace them all again with something else....or maybe just a fluke....(the purchase was recent, and I can return/exchange)

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
I have been buying schallers for every electric that I own (as well as a strap per guitar)...last evening when practicing bass I was putting the strap on my thankfully light beatle bass when the strap lock fell to pieces....it was distracting enough that I almost dropped the guitar...the top pin flew off....has anyone else had this happen........I have 8 sets of these installed at about $13.00 each, and I would hate to have to replace them all again with something else....or maybe just a fluke....(the purchase was recent, and I can return/exchange)
In spite of denials I have seen this happen on several occasions.

I once saw a guitar badly damaged as a result of misplaced trust in a set of Schallers (busted peghead).

That's about when I decided to try the coins. I've used them for decades and never had the slightest problem.

$0.50 per guitar.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
What kind of strap locks do you all use? I was looking @ the Dunlop and the DiMarzio ones... are they good? Is one better than the other? Are there other strap lock systems out there that are as good/better? What do you use?

How much should I expect to pay for straplocks? (Trying to make sure I'm getting the best price possible... spent too much money this month already...) Is it worth it to get stuff shipped from MF, do you think?

Thanks for your help!!!
I have schaller strap locks on my one tele. The other one is an AV 52 RI. I used it for the first time this past Saturday and did not use strap locks. the head on the strap buttons seemed pretty big and I'll most likely not even put strap locks on it.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I use the schaller strap locks on all my guitars. $12 for chrome, more for black or gold.
Those are my favourites...stock on most of the old high end Kramers. That's what introduced me to strap locks and I haven't seen anything I've liked as much so I have stayed with them over the years. I just converted a friend to them from those Dunlops.

I have one of the 'clip-lock' ones like james on bass is showing but I don't like them...the plain matter of when you remove the strap (unless you get the screwdriver out) you have the two end pieces still attached to the guitar. I don't like that at all. Plus...they can wear finish off pretty bad because the nylon material has enough friction that eventually it dulls the clear, then takes the clear off, then...and so on...

·
Registered
5,746 Posts

The strap buttons, that came with my strap locks on my guitar keep working loose. I keep shoving tooth picks down the screw hole and reseating them.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
I use a little method I call "Coin 'O the Realm".

The cost is $0.50 per guitar and it is absolutely failsafe. The only way this fails is if the strap breaks. I've used it for more than twenty years including 11 years touring full time.

Also for what it's worth, I've done the "guitar spin" dozens of times with it.

This is what it looks like.

Here's how:

Remove the factory installed strap knobs.

Drill a hole through the center of a quarter large enough to allow the shaft of the screw from the strap knob to pass through but small enough to prevent the head of the screw from passing through.

Put the strap against the guitar.

Put the drilled quarter against the strap.

Drive the screw through both the quarter and the strap into the guitar.

Voila.

The fact that the quarter is much thinner than the strap knob allows the screw to penetrate more deeply into the guitar.

Also, if you decide to sell the guitar, the original strap knobs can be reinstalled with absolutely zero detectable impact to the guitar.

And yes, the guitar will fit in ANY case with the strap on.
I don't know why, but I don't like the fact that, with your method, you can't take the guitar strap off. I like that I can take the strap right off with my schaller strap locks.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
If the Schallers are properly installed, the only way that they will fail is if the metal pin shears. That has got to be a near impossibility.

-There could be a spring failure but since the actual travel of the pin is very minimal (and the spring can't be stretched), the spring suffers very little wear (I would say next to none) over time.

-If the strap becomes worn to the point that the mechanism works its way through the strap then that could be a problem too but I think one would have to be very unobservant for that to happen.

-I have used the Schallers since July 1987 and have never experienced any failure nor have I seen a failure or heard about it from someone that it has actually happened to. The stock set that I got with my 1987 Kramer Pacer Deluxe are still perfect and 'as new' minus perhaps some finish and plus a few scrapes.

Proper installation and periodic checking...and you get to remove your straps quickly and easily.

So...it would be of definite interest to see pics of the one that came apart RIFF WRATH.

·
Premium Member
16,679 Posts
I don't know why, but I don't like the fact that, with your method, you can't take the guitar strap off. I like that I can take the strap right off with my schaller strap locks.
That seems to be the only real objection people have with my little system, but as I've said, it's never been the slightest problem for me. The guitars (and even the Godin mandolin) all fit easily in their cases with the straps on and I use fairly big straps.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
The coin trick is great...except that isn't it still illegal, high treason, to deface a coin of the realm and could, strictly speaking, still get you carted off to the tower of london to have your head chopped off no? :)

Criminal Code of Canada - Part XII Offences Relating to Currency

R.S., c. C-34, s. 413.
Defacing current coins
456. Every one who
(a) defaces a current coin, or
(b) utters a current coin that has been defaced,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
R.S., c. C-34, s. 414.

Doncha love antiquated BS laws?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts