The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I had to buy a 286 computer for my business many moons ago.
12" amber screen
40 meg hard drive divided into a large C drive 30 megs and a small D drive 10 megs..
1 meg RAM
total cost after taxes $2,800.00
interesting bit....about 6 months after I got the computer someone showed me
prompt = $p$g .......... made life much easier.

G.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
there are lots of things from ancient history which would be impossible if the narrative we're told about what technology was available at the time were correct.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I've only owned two computers in my life. And two cellphones and a tablet. I obviously don't get the 'update every year' thing.

I also ride bikes without motors, electric or combustion.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I just bought a guitar from a guy in New Jersey. He still uses AOL and could barely operate a computer. I had to walk him through the steps to leave me feedback. Otherwise great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Still no cell phone here.
I was in that boat, but wanted a cell phone specifically for outgoing & emergency calls. I ended up with a cheap paygo flipphone from rogers. Most paygo credits expire in a month if you don't use them, but rogers has one that lasts a year and minutes are carried over if you don't use them.
Phone cost me about $100, plan is now around $180/year. (I'm still at $100/yr as it's an old plan). Maybe some of the other companies now have cheap yearly limited usage plans.
Being in a rural area it's a nice safety net for not a lot of money. For urban, there may be no need.

·
Premium Member
13,355 Posts
My brother does that. Lives 20-30km outside of Dorset, Ontario. Landline. Pay As You Go cell phone for emergencies.

I was in that boat, but wanted a cell phone specifically for outgoing & emergency calls. I ended up with a cheap paygo flipphone from rogers. Most paygo credits expire in a month if you don't use them, but rogers has one that lasts a year and minutes are carried over if you don't use them.
Phone cost me about $100, plan is now around $180/year. (I'm still at $100/yr as it's an old plan). Maybe some of the other companies now have cheap yearly limited usage plans.
Being in a rural area it's a nice safety net for not a lot of money. For urban, there may be no need.

·
Premium Member
26,641 Posts
Still no cell phone here.
Me neither. I do have a few hundred 8-tracks and two or three 8-track players.

I also have a fantastic razor-blade sharpener that I bought at a yard sale 40 years ago. One of these, although mine is in better shape; both the device and case. It's the neatest thing, although absolutely useless for anything other than old-school double-edge "safety" razor blades. The rust-coloured "bridge pickup" you see here is an angled 3-sided affair. One side is rough hone, another smooth hone, and the third surface is leather strop. The angle makes the application of the three sides gradual, rather than sudden. The blade fits in a bracket that slides back and forth smoothly on the track. In one direction it rubs one edge of the blade, and in the other direction it rubs the other edge. Go right to the end of the track, and the blade is flipped around to now do the other side of each edge. This is the sort of device that makes me want to be a mechanical engineer.

·
Premium Member
26,641 Posts
But since the request was for strange technology stories, here's one.

As a teen, I farted around with sound systems. I had bought a turntable with a - believe it or not, they DO exist - "better quality" crystal cartridge in the tonearm. I think it was a Philips. I didn't have any sort of stereo amp to plug it into (my folks had the Electrohome console stereo out in the main hallway), so I would plug it into my 4-input-jack guitar amp (a Symphonic). The amp was on one side of my room, and the only spot to sit the turntable was on the other, so I had to connect them via a longish cable. I couldn't reach the cable, so I asked my dad to come into the room and hand me the cable. He committed a common action slip, holding the cable end with one hand, and reaching out to me with the free hand instead of handing over the cable. I was touching the live end of the turntable cable, and when he grabbed my free hand (which was waiting for the other cable) the music came through us. But here`s the weird part: it was louder than normal. So I called my kid sister into the room. She held my dad`s free hand and my free hand, and the music got even louder. Not a huge jump in volume, but enough that anyone here would cock their head and mutter "Is it me or did that just get louder?".

I have never found any sort of plausible explanation for it. Just one of those weird phenomena. Given that the crystal cartridge was much higher impedance than a more conventional mag cartridge, it`s possible we acted as impedance buffers. But why three bodies should be louder than two, or why their should be signal-level increase without any separate hot and ground path, is a mystery. Though given that it was around 1968, and the amp used a 2-prong plug, it's possible the ground was via the housewiring. Still, weird.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts