The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to Tundra, Hamilton location this afternoon. Was delighted to see a lot of Fender Custom shop guitars in.
I picked up this White guard Telecaster and the sales clerk told me it was a Jason Smith Masterbuilt Nocaster. Well that kind of threw me as the headstock clearly says "Telecaster" and its a white guard. He did bring me the COA that clearly said this. If this wasn't a Tundra store I might believe it but I just don't trust these guys.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
My cousin had a '53 White guard Tele that he bought in 1954. I don't think there were a lot, but there were early 50's white guard Teles.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Well, I was at the whitby location and they're selling a broken 1971 Marshall Artiste for $3000 that's been modded to all hell.

I drove down to check out a few of the 12 or so handwired marshalls they have listed on the website only to find out they don't have any - at any store. Then they told me they aren't getting any more marshalls in, because they all arrive DOA. Huh?

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My cousin had a '53 White guard Tele that he bought in 1954. I don't think there were a lot, but there were early 50's white guard Teles.
Yes 53, 54 58 I can believe. Actually I think the first White guard tele was 1954. But a 51 Nocaster #1 did not have "Telecaster" on the headstock and none were white guards. There were only a couple hundred or so made. A Nocaster is so called because the only thing on the headstock was "Fender".

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I was at the whitby location and they're selling a broken 1971 Marshall Artiste for $3000 that's been modded to all hell.

I drove down to check out a few of the 12 or so handwired marshalls they have listed on the website only to find out they don't have any - at any store. Then they told me they aren't getting any more marshalls in, because they all arrive DOA. Huh?
When I questioned the fact that he's saying that the guitar is a Nocaster but Telecaster is on the headstock he said well thats why "Telecaster" is on the headstock in quotes. Huh. All the 50's and 60's Telecasters have quotes around the word "Telecaster". The 70's Teles didn't. I didn't bother pointing out that the other Teles sitting there have quotes around the word Telecaster. I figured it wasn't worth arguing. The Tundra sales guys are clueless. The only guy I ever talked to at Tundra that knew what he was talking about was some old guy at the Whitby location, I think named Ed. But he seemed very shifty.
Now the only thing that makes me believe that maybe this did come from Fender as a Nocaster is thats what the COA says. Since it comes from the custom shop I can see them taking liberties with the pickguard color and even putting "Telecaster" on the headstock but I have to wonder what Jason Smith was thinking putting the Telecaster on a Nocaster.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
I know what you're saying. I was saying that as an aside. It wouldn't be the first time I dealt with a music store employee who was a little clueless or shady, or both.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
When I questioned the fact that he's saying that the guitar is a Nocaster but Telecaster is on the headstock he said well thats why "Telecaster" is on the headstock in quotes. Huh. All the 50's and 60's Telecasters have quotes around the word "Telecaster". The 70's Teles didn't. I didn't bother pointing out that the other Teles sitting there have quotes around the word Telecaster. I figured it wasn't worth arguing. The Tundra sales guys are clueless. The only guy I ever talked to at Tundra that knew what he was talking about was some old guy at the Whitby location, I think named Ed. But he seemed very shifty.
Now the only thing that makes me believe that maybe this did come from Fender as a Nocaster is thats what the COA says. Since it comes from the custom shop I can see them taking liberties with the pickguard color and even putting "Telecaster" on the headstock but I have to wonder what Jason Smith was thinking putting the Telecaster on a Nocaster.
There was a shop I used to occasionally check out that's no longer around that always sold parts Teles with Fender stickers on the headstock. I was there once looking at them and I knew they were fake. The guy at the counter saw me noticing and said, "Yeah, they're fake." I guess they banked on people who would notice would, and those who wouldn't, wouldn't.

Afterwards he said to me that the Fender rep had been in three times and knew they were doing it. That shop was shady and I'm glad it's no longer around. I've been told by other people on here they had a rep for selling stolen guitars.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Yeah, the guy at the toronto location is laughable. I had a beauty one-liner he told a customer that I had to flat out refute, because the customer would've been robbed otherwise. I wish I could remember it. I think it had to do with neck size. Anyway...

Yeah, the guy Ed is the Owner. He does know his stuff. when I was there last week he was fighting with someone loudly in the back.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I have a Chris Fleming built "nocaster" where he used a Broadcaster decal, and scraped the "Broadcaster" part off by hand, just like they did in the old days.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Somewhat related, I had the CS build me a custom nocaster and part of that was I asked them to put "Esquire" on the headstock, and they did.
Since this was a brand new guitar no one ordered it custom so I'll have to assume the owner ordered it this way. If his plan was to sell it he must have thought there be some out there that want to pay 9k for a masterbuilt nocaster with "Telecaster" on the headstock and a white guard.
I have a Chris Fleming built "nocaster" where he used a Broadcaster decal, and scraped the "Broadcaster" part off by hand, just like they did in the old days.
Kind of cool but I think if it were me I'd like Broadcaster name left on.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
That is super cool! I had originally wanted mine to say "Broadcaster" on the headstock, but they said they couldn't do it because of trademark or copyright or something. They weren't sure about "Esquire" on a two pickup guitar, but after some back and forth (through the dealer), they went ahead with that.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
That is super cool! I had originally wanted mine to say "Broadcaster" on the headstock, but they said they couldn't do it because of trademark or copyright or something. They weren't sure about "Esquire" on a two pickup guitar, but after some back and forth (through the dealer), they went ahead with that.
There must have been some people back in the day who bought Esquires and had the neck pickup put on later.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Strange that Fender has never released a reissue with the name Broadcaster on it, yet I owned a G&L Broadcaster years ago.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Strange that Fender has never released a reissue with the name Broadcaster on it, yet I owned a G&L Broadcaster years ago.

I’m both cases (Fender in the 50s and G&L in the 80s) they received cease and desist notices from Gretsch. Fender did do a broadcaster reissue in conjunction with Gretsch a few years back. Instead of the spaghetti logo they used Leo’s signature.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I needed to look at the pic a few times before not seeing a 6 fret neck and an oddly shaped body. - maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I’m both cases (Fender in the 50s and G&L in the 80s) they received cease and desist notices from Gretsch. Fender did do a broadcaster reissue in conjunction with Gretsch a few years back. Instead of the spaghetti logo they used Leo’s signature.
But FMIC owns Gretsch for all intents and purposes now... it's not like they're likely to sue themselves... o_O

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
But FMIC owns Gretsch for all intents and purposes now... it's not like they're likely to sue themselves... o_O
Technically Fender has control over marketing, production and distribution while the Gretsch family retains company ownership.... and Fred Gretsch is a WEIRD weird dude.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts