The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Gibson LP plain top/ Fender AM Pro Strat/ Guild D50
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped out a pair of Tele p/ups and a set of Stat p/ups. Now I realize I don't have a clue how to store the old p/ups.
HELP!

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
I keep all my spares in a box, but all are wrapped in bubble wrap.

Just not sure if this is a good idea or not.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
Look at how pickups sit waiting to be sold. They sit unwrapped in a plastic box. So put them in a box, separated, and they will be fine.

L

·
0 Posts
The 70's Gotoh pup that I put in a project Tele was sitting in my parts drawer for 15 years.
Sure sounded fine to me when it fired up again.

·
Premium Member
Gibson LP plain top/ Fender AM Pro Strat/ Guild D50
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've just put all 5 pickups in a box together. Good quick advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
My old LP copy pickups are in the boxes/plastic cases the new ones came in--in a drawer.

Although I wouldn't be worried if they became de-magnetized.

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
If I buy a pair of humbuckers they usually come in boxes, so when you swap use the box the new ones came in.

Reactions: MS41R8

·
Premium Member
25,321 Posts
Remagnetizing alnico polepieces in a single-coil is easy to do. Remagnetizing alnico bar magnets in a P90 or HB, not so much. It can certainlybe done, but is not as simple as waving a 3/4" diameter neodymium over them, like you can with individual polepieces.

That said, my understanding is that magnetic "tug" is an exponential function of distance, not linear That is, the square of the distance matters.

At the same time, what you're concerned with is demagnetizing, right? If you were to "stack" those pickups so that the south of one set of polepieces was always adjacent to the north of another, it wouldn't be any different than having a bunch of loose magnetized polepieces, stacked end to end, and those wouldn't lose any strength by doing so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts