The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Still Alive and Well

3K views 70 replies 25 participants last post by  Dorian2 
Like any change, it takes a willingness to learn and a little time to change your approach. The screen is big enough. You do have to get used to only seeing 8 channels on the screen at any given time. You also have to get used to drilling in a little to adjust the graphs, compression, effects et cetera.

But, once you make those adjustments, the processing power is pretty overwhelming. If I had a rack mounted delay or multi effects, now I have four or five at a time. Now I have real time analysers and feedback busting technology.
I can also save rooms and bands. If I do your band (down boys) in Club "A" this weekend and you're crazy enough to hire me again, the STARTING point for your next show is the fully tweaked and evolved mix from this weekend's show.

The cons are there, but the pros are so over the top, for me it's a no brainer.
I've been seriously contemplating getting out of my home recording because I find mixing so difficult.

Well I hope you are able to continue. If you're able to get to the point where you're actually mixing, you're a step ahead of me.

Once I'm actually mixing I'm happy as a pig in Sh%t. It's getting to that stage that often confuses me.
I can get a mix that I think is good on my studio monitors, but after I bounce the file and play it on my computer speakers everything has changed. I then go through a long and painful process of addition and subtraction until it's ok, or is as good as it's going to get. Sometimes I don't get there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.