The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropping in to A. See if my account was actually deleted as I requested (no), and B. to let everyone know that I'm still alive and well.

These days I do mostly live sound and not much of that. I do three or four charity events and a few small paying shows every year (mostly repeat customers).

I do look in on this forum occasionally and things don't seem to have changed much. To be honest, I didn't expect a change. It's not the forum that has changed. It's me. I have grown increasingly disenchanted with social media and the internet in general.

It is as they say, the worst of things and the best of things.

I use it to the extent that I need to, but as far as social interaction goes, the false courage that comes along with the anonymity provided by the internet is as distasteful to me as that provided by alcohol and cars.

Sitting across from me you would likely find me to be calm and a good listener however in forums like this the vermin (trolls) are embraced and treated like amusing pets.

There are some great members here and I miss them (Cheers folks!), but there are some real pieces of crap here as well and as there seems to be nothing that can be done about that, I'm convinced I made the right decision in leaving.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Were slowly weeding them out and the ignore button works well. One thing I've noticed is, by the time I put them on my ignore list, many have left or had a change of attitude.
I pop in daily, ignore the FS/FT adds and pick the threads that I'm interested in. Then I hit "Mark Forums Read" and move on. I'll post once in awhile but stay away from the posts that have foul language and confrontation. Works for me. Glad you dropped in.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
You are missed here, but I understand why you're not around. Thanks for letting us know how you are. You're one of the good ones.

Peace.

·
Registered
10,075 Posts
Good to hear from you and that you're doing well. I always enjoyed your posts.

I can't say I blame you either. I'm increasingly feeling disenchanted with social media as well and decreasing it was well.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Always nice to see pleasant folks come over to the darkside here once in a while and yep we still have some very fine characters but like all forums they are just well you know and we'll leave it at that, but do remember Mike there are some nice folks here to who miss you and its great to here you are still doing your thing but do pop in once in a while and let us know how you are doing okay.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I go through phases where I withdraw from social interactions and every once in awhile I poke my head up out of my prairie dog hole to see which way the wind's blowing.

It may be a combination of mental health issues and the fact that I'm on the slippery slope of geezerdom, but I really don't miss Facebook, Twitter, et cetera, et cetera.

What's a bit shocking to me is how inextricably linked such social media sites seem to be to main stream society.

Want to comment on most news articles or op eds? For the most part you cannot comment unless you create an account with Facebook.

I do miss chatting about all things guitar and PA related, and the discussions I have had with some of those who have kindly posted in this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Hey Mike. Nice to know you're doing well. Like you, I have a disdain for social media and stay away from things like FB, Twitter etc. But when it comes to music, guitars and gear in general I find this forum one of the best I've ever been associated with. Perfect? No and it never will be but I've learned to avoid the threads that are volatile and it keeps my experience in line with my purpose. Anyway, enough preaching. I really hope you pick your opportunities to play in this sandbox. You have been missed.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know me better than I thought. For me, everything that happens in life is connected to a song or a sound. It actually drives me nuts sometimes.

Nice catch.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
My first thought was that it must be a Winter anniversary of some sort until I saw who was posting. Think I'll put the record on right now.

As for social media i dumped it all around 5 or 6 years ago. Just signed up on FB again a few days ago for a high-school reunion but Will likely dump it again in a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts