The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit of a long shot - not related to amps, but I thought this group is more likely to be familiar with solvents and materials, etc.
Does anyone know what makes a hard plastic material become very sticky, or better still, what will clean it?
Have you ever reached for something in your shop or storage room that you haven't used for a while and discovered it has developed a very sticky 'sweat' on part of it?
I have a Hercules stand - folds up, extendable neck support, large model, good for a bass.
It has a tough, plastic(?), collar piece (that locks/unlocks for neck height).
The stand has been unused for a couple of years, and now the whole surface of the collar has become sticky like fly paper.
I've tried to clean it: contact cement cleaner, methanol, turpentine, paint thinner, acetone...no luck.
There are other components on this stand that appear to be of similar material, but they are dry. I'm guessing it has reacted to something it was lying nearby for a long period.
There are no signs of spills or contaminants that may have been adjacent to the part that may have reacted with the material. Does anyone know how i can clean this off (and, what caused it)?

·
Premium Member
10,947 Posts
I had one do this recently. Totally baffles me, but luckily the retailer replaced it with a new one.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If the problem is what I think it is, the culprit could be the petroleum-based coating that was applied on the hard plastic part during manufacturing. Over time, the coating breaks down and could turn the part's surface sticky.

If isopropanol alcohol (99%) does not work, try mixing baking soda with water to form a paste. Apply the paste on the part by rubbing it on. Let it sit for a minute or so, then scrub it with a rag or old t-shirt. Wipe the area with a clean damp cloth as final cleanup. You might want to test on a small section first.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the problem is what I think it is, the culprit could be the petroleum-based coating that was applied on the hard plastic part during manufacturing. Over time, the coating breaks down and could turn the part's surface sticky.

If isopropanol alcohol (99%) does not work, try mixing baking soda with water to form a paste. Apply the paste on the part by rubbing it on. Let it sit for a minute or so, then scrub it with a rag or old t-shirt. Wipe the area with a clean damp cloth as final cleanup. You might want to test on a small section first.
Thanks, I will try this out.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I had 3 Hercules stands get sticky and have other issues.
I took them to L&M and talked to a rep. Emails were sent. I did not need receipts. Two were gifts.

I had to leave the stands with them. Several more emails and two weeks, L&M was authorized to hand me 3 stands. Thank you very much.

Don’t waste your time cleaning what can’t be cleaned.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well, I spent some time with the baking soda trick, - not being familiar with the substance, it seems to congeal quickly and then become hard to spread. You're right about the problem being some sort of coating. After the stickiness is somewhat cured, there was a residue of dry, grey coating which can be tediously scraped off with a sharp edge. After finally trying to clean the thing up with methyl alcohol, I wound up with a black and grey mottled surface which, at least, is dry to the touch.
Judging by the following replies in here, this is something that Hercules should deal with - these stands are like a ticking time-bomb. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts