The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you encountered problems with this?

I had to redo many interior parts of my sports car that had this coating....its a nice, matte feeling when new but eventually breaks down and "melts" turning into a sticky tar.

Ive also noticed it on some electronic remotes, computer mice, and a set of 45lb Olympic barbell plates that are literally dripping this stuff off. That's what prompted me to start this thread.
So, with my car parts, I had pretty good success removing the thin coating with varying strengths of rubbing alcohol, and for the really stubborn stuff, I used easy-off oven cleaner. No damage, the coating came off and I re-sprayed with a semi-matte black spray paint.
These guys charge $1000's of dollars to do this sort of thing: Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions – Refinishing Services for Exotic Car Interiors
there should be a class action lawsuit against manufacturers that used this stuff.

But the coating on the barbell weights is like 1/8" thick! it took quite a while to scrape it off one plate, but that's left it with sticky flypaper like coating all over, and its not a small or light object to work on.

wondering if anyone found any solutions, or if its worth my time or I should just throw these out. id even consider putting something over the coating, if it would stick to it/seal it.

anyone?

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
I don't recall dealing with that stuff.

But I'm heading out soon to remove bug guts from the front of my car (while washing it). My mechanic told me to try the pink windshield washer fluid (made for bug guts) in a small sprayer. Never tried it before so I'm looking forward to (hopefully) an easier way to deal with the crud.

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't recall dealing with that stuff.

But I'm heading out soon to remove bug guts from the front of my car (while washing it). My mechanic told me to try the pink windshield washer fluid (made for bug guts) in a small sprayer. Never tried it before so I'm looking forward to (hopefully) an easier way to deal with the crud.
I haven't tried that before, but it seems to always wash off for me anyways.

on the topic of windshield washer fluid, the previous owner of my sports car must have treated the windshield to something...almost 2 years later, when it rains, I don't even need to use my wipers...the rain just beads off. wish I knew what it was, maybe Rain-x? its pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The soft touch phenom can be blamed on the automotive press who shame auto makers into creating soft touch as some kind of luxury feature.

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I ever start a thread called “let’s talk about Diablo’s sports car “, I’ll be sure to invite you guys, lol

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll guess VW or Audi. They are slathered with that crap.
True...but no, my Audi (dd) interior is holding up nicely. Germans make good stuff.
It’s funny, when I was car shopping a couple years ago, I checked out Gallardo’s.. car buffs online knocked them for the Audi components in the interior, I saw it as a plus.
As Jeremy Clarkson once said “if you want a perfect car, buy an Audi. If you want a car with soul, buy an Italian”.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
True...but no, my Audi (dd) interior is holding up nicely. Germans make good stuff.
It’s funny, when I was car shopping a couple years ago, I checked out Gallardo’s.. car buffs online knocked them for the Audi components in the interior, I saw it as a plus.
As Jeremy Clarkson once said “if you want a perfect car, buy an Audi. If you want a car with soul, buy an Italian”.
Funny, I've always found German interiors to be cheap and flimsy (VW, Audi, and BMW). I was driving an M3 the other day, and as soon I hit 200 the storage compartments and dome light fell out.

P

·
0 Posts
I know someone who just bought a Maserati with a Ferrari engine. It looks close to this:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts