The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gibson Memphis Studio seems to have a nitrous finish from what i have read so need a recommendation for cleaning, polishing a sticky neck. It seems worst than my Poly necks on my Tele's. What can i use that wont damage anything. Thanks

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
Just get it dirty :) New/Clean guitars sound terrible anyways ;)

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
If you're talking about the stickiness, take some VERY high grit sandpaper to it - 1200-2000 range. Gently sand down from the headstock to as low towards the body as you need to go. It doesn't take any significant amount of finish off, but roughs up the surface (and, almost no matter how much you clean, leaves a little bit of dust behind that acts as a 'hand lubricant'), making it much faster playing. Given how fine the sandpaper is, you can get it back to factory gloss with 10 minutes and some car wax or polishing compound.

I've done this for years on my guitars & basses, both nitro & poly, to get rid of stickiness. If you play the axe a lot, in a week or 2 you won't even see the finish has been dulled, it will look like factory shine but still be much slicker.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Micromesh

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
If its new the finish might still be a bit soft and attract scuz.

My tele was like that for a few months when I first got it and now its a normal smooth finish from playing it. I also left it out of the case a bit when it was new to try and have the finish gas out faster.

If the guitar is not new and gets sticky then maybe you should wash your hands more often ... lol

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means but my experience with nitro has led me to the following suggestions.

Not much dirt/stickiness: Gibson pump polish with a clean cloth after every use.
Moderate: Ronsonol Lighter fluid with a clean cloth, then when that dries use the pump polish with another clean cloth.
Extremely Dirty: warm water with a mild soap (dish detergent), then let the guitars finish dry out before use. The next day I polish it before use and it usually stays clean after that point.

Maybe not the most popular method but I'm anal over this stuff and I hate the look and feel of a dirty guitar.

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're talking about the stickiness, take some VERY high grit sandpaper to it - 1200-2000 range. Gently sand down from the headstock to as low towards the body as you need to go. It doesn't take any significant amount of finish off, but roughs up the surface (and, almost no matter how much you clean, leaves a little bit of dust behind that acts as a 'hand lubricant'), making it much faster playing. Given how fine the sandpaper is, you can get it back to factory gloss with 10 minutes and some car wax or polishing compound.

I've done this for years on my guitars & basses, both nitro & poly, to get rid of stickiness. If you play the axe a lot, in a week or 2 you won't even see the finish has been dulled, it will look like factory shine but still be much slicker.
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My LP’s neck was sticky, to the point where I’d have a cloth on my amp at gigs to wipe between songs. After a year or so of being my #1 guitar, it settled in and stopped being sticky at all. I say give it time and use Gibson pump polish at home (Bonamassa recommends that for sticky necks, too.)

·
Premium Member
4,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My LP’s neck was sticky, to the point where I’d have a cloth on my amp at gigs to wipe between songs. After a year or so of being my #1 guitar, it settled in and stopped being sticky at all. I say give it time and use Gibson pump polish at home (Bonamassa recommends that for sticky necks, too.)
Thanks for the tip. I tried the steel wool and then the Turtle wax but i dont think its working. Will pick up some Gibson polish and give it a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts