1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Dumb question,

I have a 8 ohm Bogner Uberkab which is mono 4 x12

Would a 16 ohm 4x12 stereo cab sound different or is it just the ability to stack 2 cabs together?

I only need one cab but just wonder on sound.......

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Deadwrong said:
Hi

Dumb question,

I have a 8 ohm Bogner Uberkab which is mono 4 x12

Would a 16 ohm 4x12 stereo cab sound different or is it just the ability to stack 2 cabs together?

I only need one cab but just wonder on sound.......
A stereo cab would allow you to use a stereo amp and effects.

If you're driving it with a conventional guitar head there's no advantage to having a stereo cab.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have retrofitted a stereo switch in a Marshall 4x12. It allow me to use it in mono at 16 ohm or stereo at twice 8 ohm. It is convenient, for example when using a POD with a stereo power amp.

I have read something about using a 16 ohm cab on 16 ohm tap for a better sounding amp, the theory being that you use all the output transformer winding, but there is no agreement on this.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Agreement among whom?

elcabong said:
I have read something about using a 16 ohm cab on 16 ohm tap for a better sounding amp, the theory being that you use all the output transformer winding, but there is no agreement on this.
Depends on who you ask! :) Any reasonably educated tech will agree that it makes no difference! You might get slightly less wire losses running 16 ohm head and cab settings than running 8 or 4 ohm head/cab selections. The output transformer will step up the load by the proper ratio to deliver the correct load to the output tubes, regardless.

If the argument is among non-technical guitar players then I agree there will likely be no agreement - unless you buy them enough beer! :)

Or you may find a tech who appears to favour this theory. It's a sure bet he also has something to sell you...

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Wasn't that one of those wacky Gerald Weber theories. Complete junk science :rolleyes:

Although given enough beers, I could be convinced.

Wild Bill said:
Depends on who you ask! :) Any reasonably educated tech will agree that it makes no difference! You might get slightly less wire losses running 16 ohm head and cab settings than running 8 or 4 ohm head/cab selections. The output transformer will step up the load by the proper ratio to deliver the correct load to the output tubes, regardless.

If the argument is among non-technical guitar players then I agree there will likely be no agreement - unless you buy them enough beer! :)

Or you may find a tech who appears to favour this theory. It's a sure bet he also has something to sell you...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Scottone said:
Wasn't that one of those wacky Gerald Weber theories. Complete junk science :rolleyes:

Although given enough beers, I could be convinced.
Something like that. I am unsure if it is Gerald or Ted Weber that came with this theory? I read about it in a Kevin O'Connors book but he did not mention any name. In a section titled "The myth of encompassment", he mention that it came from a guy manufacturing speakers.:eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Milkman said:
A stereo cab would allow you to use a stereo amp and effects.

If you're driving it with a conventional guitar head there's no advantage to having a stereo cab.

So with my 5150 peavey head (which handles 4/8/16) there would be no difference in sound to say a 16 ohm marshall cab to a 8 ohm bogner cab?

:redface:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Deadwrong said:
So with my 5150 peavey head (which handles 4/8/16) there would be no difference in sound to say a 16 ohm marshall cab to a 8 ohm bogner cab?

:redface:
There could be a difference but it will be caused by different speakers or different cab construction. Not because of impedance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts