The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,689 Posts
Some years back, when the first Spongebob movie came out, I brought our younger son to see it. The theatre was essentially 40% dads and the remaining 60% kids in the 6-9yr range. The lights went down and they started showing the trailers. For some weird reason, all the trailers were for horror films and quasi-slasher movies. Nothing outright gross, but you kind of wondered why kids would find such films of interest. Then the main feature started and the credits indicated that we were about to watch "Saw". One of the parents stood up, turned to the projection booth and yelled in a stern drill-sargent voice "Turn the lights on...NOW!". They did, and after a very red-faced 15-minute interval, put the right movie on and our pleasant silly afternoon outing continued. But it came that close to a room full o' litigation.

Spongebob is kind of the kids' equivalent of "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"; a sunny, generally happy, optimistic individual who is hard-pressed to see anything bad in others. Not entirely immune to having his feelings hurt, or worrying about hurting others' feelings, but so quick to rebound emotionally. You wouldn't think there's that much sunshine under the sea.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's brilliantly zany and there's GOT to be a weed influence.

Sandy the scuba wearing squirrel......Wow.
 

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
Joined
·
1,852 Posts
Some years back, when the first Spongebob movie came out, I brought our younger son to see it. The theatre was essentially 40% dads and the remaining 60% kids in the 6-9yr range. The lights went down and they started showing the trailers. For some weird reason, all the trailers were for horror films and quasi-slasher movies. Nothing outright gross, but you kind of wondered why kids would find such films of interest. Then the main feature started and the credits indicated that we were about to watch "Saw". One of the parents stood up, turned to the projection booth and yelled in a stern drill-sargent voice "Turn the lights on...NOW!". They did, and after a very red-faced 15-minute interval, put the right movie on and our pleasant silly afternoon outing continued. But it came that close to a room full o' litigation.

Spongebob is kind of the kids' equivalent of "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"; a sunny, generally happy, optimistic individual who is hard-pressed to see anything bad in others. Not entirely immune to having his feelings hurt, or worrying about hurting others' feelings, but so quick to rebound emotionally. You wouldn't think there's that much sunshine under the sea.
OMG! I WAS THERE TOO!! I was a volunteer at a kids/youth camp. We took the kids to see Sponge Bob and Saw started playing.

I remember the manager and a couple of staff were lined up at the exit handing out free movie passes to everyone as they walked out after the movie. A lot tramatized kids and angry parents that day.

On a related note, I didn't know anything about Spongebob and quite enjoyed the movie. Went back to watch Saw later too because the first minute or so that played before Spongebob intrigued me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,689 Posts
Now I'm retraumatized! We didn't get offered any free passes. Must have been because I wanted to stay to the very end of the credits, and they figured the theatre had completely emptied out.

But that is so funny that we were both there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,499 Posts
I sat through the Sponge Bob movie with my nephew when it came out in the theater. I have to admit I didn't get it, but maybe I'm just jaded.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top