The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I new to guitars and wish to play. I heard that a stater package is a good way to start. I went to various stores and visit other websites, and I was wondering how you would which one to select. I'm looking for something that under $300, and all of the ones I saw seems to be good. Anyway I was wondering if any of you bought a starter package and from where, also if you can comment on the quality of the playing, so I won't buy a junk.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi,

I have noticed all guitar's in this price range all seem to come out of one plant in China.

Here's what I did... Bought a guitar from this guy. Total cost, incl. shipping, $88 CAD. Then built my own amp. You could buy a Valve Jr. for another $130.

The retail "kits" using that guitar you will find in London Drugs ($199), Sears ($249) or The Source ($279) are kind of a waste, since you'll propbably send the amp for disposal as soon as you hear it >.<

Cheers!

·
Registered
874 Posts
You will do much better buying seperatly, a guitar and amp. Also if you go used your $$$$ will stretch further. Find a guitar you like (there are lots of new or used for about $200) then add a 10 watt amp which can be had usually for under $100 new.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
to be honest with you though, I would save up another 100$ or so, and buy a Godin LG. Made in Canada guitar, great price, and astonishing quality.

I would also suggest you check out hamm guitars here on the forum. I have a guitar from him, as well as a lot of other people on this site. If you save up another 100$, that hamm guitar will be in your range. www.hammguitars.com

·
Premium Member
16,805 Posts
Yamaha pacifica 112, with a setup.

peavey rage 158 (USED if possible)

you're lookin at around $300 maybe

·
Registered
43 Posts
+1 on the yamaha pacifica 112. Since it has a humbucker on the bridge (=rock) and single coils on the neck and middle (=rock, blues, country, etc) it is really versatile. It is a lot of guitar for the money.

I suggest a really small, 5 watt digital modelling amplifier to start. The Vox DA5 & Microtube are the best choices. Your household will thank you for using headphones on these when you start out. Each has built-in effects and popular amp models to teach you about the sounds out there.

If you are still playing in a year, then you can save up for your first nice tube amp, and you can still use your portable practice amp for late nights.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The Peavey Raptor is not a bad guitar but you may have tuning issues with a tremelo on a low end instrument. All the small solid state amps in these packages are probibly about the same quality (passable). If you get into playing I'm sure you would outgrow the amp and maybe the guitar within 6 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys,

After consideration from all your guess, I came to the conclusion of purchasing a Squier. I went to look for a used on and found this one.
http://toronto.craigslist.org/msg/384575614.html
I was wondering good guitar. I alright contacted the seller and ask to look at the guitar. I was wondering if also you help determine if its the real deal.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
to be honest with you though, I would save up another 100$ or so, and buy a Godin LG. Made in Canada guitar, great price, and astonishing quality.

I would also suggest you check out hamm guitars here on the forum. I have a guitar from him, as well as a lot of other people on this site. If you save up another 100$, that hamm guitar will be in your range. www.hammguitars.com

I heard through the grapevine that some Godin's are actually made in Korea and assembled in Canada...not to say that's bad. You should see the stuff that Uno, Kraken and Swing makes (three new Korean makers). The guys from BTO (yeah, they are still around) play Swing guitars, Uno guitars are now imported in the US and Kraken makes custom guitars for a third or a quarter of what you'd pay for a comparable made in USA custom (so does Swing, for that matter).

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Hi,

I have noticed all guitar's in this price range all seem to come out of one plant in China.

Here's what I did... Bought a guitar from this guy. Total cost, incl. shipping, $88 CAD. Then built my own amp. You could buy a Valve Jr. for another $130.

The retail "kits" using that guitar you will find in London Drugs ($199), Sears ($249) or The Source ($279) are kind of a waste, since you'll propbably send the amp for disposal as soon as you hear it >.<

Cheers!
Yeah, a cheap ebay guitar, maybe even a second hand one (as long as it's properly set up and the frets are even), and a Valve Jr. is probably the best bet. Invest in a good set of strings, too (the slinkier the better). Strings on cheap guitars are usually very stiff, too stiff for beginners. If you don't have someone who can change the strings for you, there's bound to be a tutorial on youtube.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I heard through the grapevine that some Godin's are actually made in Korea and assembled in Canada...not to say that's bad. You should see the stuff that Uno, Kraken and Swing makes (three new Korean makers). The guys from BTO (yeah, they are still around) play Swing guitars, Uno guitars are now imported in the US and Kraken makes custom guitars for a third or a quarter of what you'd pay for a comparable made in USA custom (so does Swing, for that matter).
Godins are assembled in the New Hampshire from parts made in Canada. That's my understanding. At any rate, they are great value for the money. I used to loathe their appearance but I find it's grown on me... I have an Exit 22 with a maple neck & fretboard and a funky yellow Radiator that screams 50s-60s kitchen dinette sets... and both are just amazing players.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Godins are assembled in the New Hampshire from parts made in Canada. That's my understanding. At any rate, they are great value for the money. I used to loathe their appearance but I find it's grown on me... I have an Exit 22 with a maple neck & fretboard and a funky yellow Radiator that screams 50s-60s kitchen dinette sets... and both are just amazing players.
My mistake. I remember now. The rumor was about Seagull, not Godin. (Seagull is owned by Godin, right?)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts