The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking Jackson Minion (22.5" scale) or Squier Bullet Mustang (24" scale).

Need it as soon as possible, and can't find anything on kijiji :(
Also should be as cheap as possible (200-250max guitar only)

Any other ideas, suggestions?

@Budda you were selling Jackson (forgot the price) but was probably regular 25.5?

thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
3,475 Posts
A colleague just bought a guitar package with a 10W amp at Costco for around $200. Pretty hard to beat.

My son started on a 3/4 size guitar and would recommend going that route. Your son will also outgrow the quality of the guitar if he continues so I would prioritize on starting with a guitar that is comfortable for him.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
A colleague just bought a guitar package with a 10W amp at Costco for around $200. Pretty hard to beat.

My son started on a 3/4 size guitar and would recommend going that route. Your son will also outgrow the quality of the guitar if he continues so I would prioritize on starting with a guitar that is comfortable for him.
I was in Costco yesterday with my two year old granddaughter and played one of these while she danced. The amp was crap but it would be OK for learning. The guitar was playable. It had a pretty slim neck. Not sure of the scale. I’d guess somewhere around 23”. It would be suitable for a young player. It stayed in tune and the action was not horrible. It looked like it had all the normal adjustments for a strat. Check out your local Costco. This one was set up beside a pallet full of them.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thank you very much Alex (and everybody else).
Do you remember how old was your son when he started on 3/4 guitar?

thank you very much in advance

P

·
0 Posts
Best Buy Canada has some pretty cheap brand name guitars, some on sale right now.
The link below is for Best Buy only. They also have all kinds of other vendors but I selected just Best Buy.
Results for guitars electric - Best Buy Canada

Here's a Fender Squire Mini on sale for $129. Sale ends today (Dec 2), $50 off. It has a 22.75" scale.
Squier Affinity Series Mini Electric Guitar - Red

Here is the same guitar with better quality hardware not on sale for $235. Better hardware might be worth it.

They have other cheap offshore Gibsons with 24.75" scale.

Note- You can order online and pickup in store, but check if they sell you store inventory or if they ship to the store. You said you wanted it fast...

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Jeezuz, that’s all a hell of a lot better than what I started on.

When I was in grade five I was given a full size classical guitar which cost $20 at Woolworths and it was 2 inches wide at the nut. I don’t remember it as being difficult to play and I took it everywhere I went in a green garbage bag ... lol

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Is this the pkg? $163 shipped. Not sure what the scale is. This Costco Online. Not the same as Costco Warehouse Store, but carry a lot of the same products. Usually the same product is cheaper in the store. Costco has a 90 day return policy.

https://www.costco.ca/GWL-Electric-Guitar-Pack.product.100376139.html

It would almost be fun to buy that and see what you could do with it. Everything you need is right there and if the guitar can be tuned you could probably get more out of it than some people who have spent thousands on gear.

P

·
0 Posts
It would almost be fun to buy that and see what you could do with it. Everything you need is right there and if the guitar can be tuned you could probably get more out of it than some people who have spent thousands on gear.
I would go for the Best Buy Squires. They sell offsets, cheapy Gibsons... I would buy that 22.75" Squire for $129 and upgrade the tuners and pickups. The Gibson Ted Nugent plays has a 23" scale.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Is this the pkg? $163 shipped. Not sure what the scale is. This Costco Online. Not the same as Costco Warehouse Store, but carry a lot of the same products. Usually the same product is cheaper in the store. Costco has a 90 day return policy.

https://www.costco.ca/GWL-Electric-Guitar-Pack.product.100376139.html

That was the one I played. Not great but with a bit of adjustment it would be an ok starter. The Squiers others have mentioned are better guitars but if price is important this one is ok.

P

·
0 Posts
That was the one I played. Not great but it’s a bit of adjustment it would be an ok starter. The Squiers others have mentioned are better guitars but if price is important this one is ok.
Today only that Best Buy Squire Affinity Mini is $129. No amp or accessories, but the OP said he just wanted a guitar.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I would go for the Best Buy Squires. They sell offsets, cheapy Gibsons... I would buy that 22.75" Squire for $129 and upgrade the tuners and pickups. The Gibson Ted Nugent plays has a 23" scale.
I bought one of those Squier Minis for my daughter but ended up playing it more than she did. The pickups weren’t awful but the tuners were absolute shite.

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
I have no idea what size guitar a small kid should play on. But I will say, I don't think I have ever seen a child prodigy video playing a mini or 3/4 size guitar. They all seem to be fine with full scale. Anytime I hear this question, I think of this video

Reactions: greco
1 - 18 of 18 Posts