The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
No, but when a shitty burger combo costs about $10 at any fast food now, it’s hard to single out sbux.

When I compare a cup of sbux to a cup of Tim’s, it’s not quite 2x the price. Is it that much better? Yes, many times, yes.
Ppl should be complaining that tims doesn’t cost $0.50 as that’s th most it’s worth.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
My favorite coffee place is Second Cup. Price is fair and the offerings are good. Never had bad service either.

For those that are a fan of the bud, you may get to enjoy it there as well.

Second Cup eyes converting some coffee shops into marijuana stores
Hubby and I love Second cup. We have Friday date nights there. I love their Irish creme coffee. Service is is always consistent and because they know us now they have our coffees ready toute suite. We tip them very well which helps. I love the atmosphere. Very laid back and relaxing. Just nice to spend some one on one time together!

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,114 Posts
No, but when a shitty burger combo costs about $10 at any fast food now, it’s hard to single out sbux.

When I compare a cup of sbux to a cup of Tim’s, it’s not quite 2x the price. Is it that much better? Yes, many times, yes.
Ppl should be complaining that tims doesn’t cost $0.50 as that’s th most it’s worth.
Tim's and Starbucks are both disgusting! Second cup beats out both for quality and service these days. Funny thing is that McDonald's now serves the coffee that Tim's used to before they were first bought out. They thought that it was a good idea to change supplies to save money and old ronnie jumped all over it.

Reactions: High/Deaf

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Second Cup is alright. We have a place called Buro downstairs from the office that beats all the chains mentioned. Starbucks tastes burnt. Tim’s dark roast is a farce.

·
Registered
856 Posts
The onion may be a joke site, but IMO so's starbucks. Vile, acidic road tar in a cup(like 12 molar sulfuric acidic). Isn't that the place that recently went no plastic straws and the answer is a sippy cup that uses 50% more plastic than a reg cup lid and plastic straw? (but the Important thing is to, "appear" to be doing something, right?)
Most amusing part is where, "tree huggers" are campaigning for paper straws. LOL, man it just don't get much better than that; best part is, they don't stop to reason out what they're campaigning for. Be really amusing to see if they'll keep spiking trees with hopes of injuring some poor putz just working his azz off trying to feed his family when he's harvesting trees grown only for consumption........to make starbucks straws. (I'd say that's a new definition of irony, except for the potentially injured young father just trying to feed his family.)

BTW, spent a lot of time in cent. am. Seems closer you get to coffee growing area's the stronger the coffee, However, it's not bitter road tar, it's fresh and Great, unlike, say, starbucks road tar.
Again, just my personal opinion. ;)

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
My taste in coffee is probably one of the worst. Years of working if factories and shops means I drank a lot of cafeteria and vending machine coffee, and got accustomed to it. That being said, I don't like Starbucks coffee, and I mean coffee, one name, not something with 4 or 5 flowery words in the description. I drink Tim's sometimes when I am on the road as I get gift cards for presents from some folks, and hey, free is my favourite price, but I rarely buy it. Take the old dish water, pour it over some grounds, and as long as it's hot, I'm good to go.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I'm not a coffee snob at all, and Second Cup tastes horrible to me.
Paradiso or Batch 49 good. Stay away from the Columbian, I find it similar to Starbucks.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Frankly, I am all coffeed out. My beverage of choice is Tim’s steeped tea, double cream double sweetener.

Coffee makes me want to yak now but a steeped tea is divine. It automatically makes me feel physically and mentally better.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Hubby and I love Second cup. We have Friday date nights there. I love their Irish creme coffee. Service is is always consistent and because they know us now they have our coffees ready toute suite. We tip them very well which helps. I love the atmosphere. Very laid back and relaxing. Just nice to spend some one on one time together!
Also a fan of Second Cup. The atmosphere is cozier. Starbucks is generally pretty nice too but it's impossible to get a seat with all the non-patrons accessing the free WiFi. Some even have the nerve to bring in their own coffee. I stopped going to Starbucks about a year ago.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Also a fan of Second Cup. The atmosphere is cozier. Starbucks is generally pretty nice too but it's impossible to get a seat with all the non-patrons accessing the free WiFi. Some even have the nerve to bring in their own coffee. I stopped going to Starbucks about a year ago.
so, this really happens, eh? i only get my SB from the drive thru, never go in.
I couldn't understand why that big mess happened in Philly early in the year. I thought it was common sense that you don't go into a place of business just to hang out, without buying anything. I love the atmosphere at Hy's Steakhouse, but I wouldn't expect to sit at a table there without ordering.
but if that's the "culture" SB have, then the 2 gents were right.
they need to put in more restrooms then.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Tim's and Starbucks are both disgusting! Second cup beats out both for quality and service these days. Funny thing is that McDonald's now serves the coffee that Tim's used to before they were first bought out. They thought that it was a good idea to change supplies to save money and old ronnie jumped all over it.
+1

My drive through choice is now Micky D's. Makes sense, as I used to like Timmy's but can hardly stand it any more. I have other preferences if I want to get out of my vehicle, sit down and mix with the plebs. :D

Starbucks are a marketer's dream. They got cool and converted a lot of hipsters to drinking overly strong, burnt coffee. Now everything else tastes 'weak' to them and they won't drink anything else. Weak coffee does taste bad and if you can get people acclimated to strong coffee, you will ultimately win, I suppose.

We have a coffee service at work - pre-measured packages, various blends, a dedicated drip machine. Some people spend a lot of time seeing how many packages of coffee they can squeeze into one filter, trying to make it stronger and stronger (meanwhile, I like to think the roaster knew what they were doing when they sized the packages). When I ask those self-proclaimed roastmasters what they drink out in the real world? Always Starbucks. Smart marketing!

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
+1

My drive through choice is now Micky D's. Makes sense, as I used to like Timmy's but can hardly stand it any more. I have other preferences if I want to get out of my vehicle, sit down and mix with the plebs. :D

Starbucks are a marketer's dream. They got cool and converted a lot of hipsters to drinking overly strong, burnt coffee. Now everything else tastes 'weak' to them and they won't drink anything else. Weak coffee does taste bad and if you can get people acclimated to strong coffee, you will ultimately win, I suppose.

We have a coffee service at work - pre-measured packages, various blends, a dedicated drip machine. Some people spend a lot of time seeing how many packages of coffee they can squeeze into one filter, trying to make it stronger and stronger (meanwhile, I like to think the roaster knew what they were doing when they sized the packages). When I ask those self-proclaimed roastmasters what they drink out in the real world? Always Starbucks. Smart marketing!
You don't find McD's coffee tastes burnt too though?
To me it tastes like Tims except with a strong burnt, charred flavor to it. Still better than Tims somehow though, as at least it has *some* flavour.
But id say youre typical of most Canadians who seem to prefer a watered down tasting coffee thus finding others "overly strong".
I just find when it comes to either McD's or TH, I can make something superior at home without the ridiculous drive thru lineup and wait....its not even about the money.
I like my coffee like I like my women...strong, rich and thick :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts