The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mad Strappier
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Visited Stang guitars for the first time yesterday, met President Tyler and chatted for about a half hour.
He's just a couple blocks off the boho-arty Whyte ave strip, close enough. He used to be involved with Avenue Guitars,
which was rather a tight clausterphobic space.

It's housed in what was once a cycle shop, he mentioned that he and his father built the inside stairs and walkways, as his
father was a metal fabricator sort of guy. - anyway nice store, spacious, clean and welcoming... here's some pics.
This is definitely NOT clausterphobic... more like agoraphobic, or when you are up on the upper deck, acrophobic

He had plenty Fender, Gibson, Suhr, PRS, Godin, Taylors, Ernie Balls on the wall, nice vintage and custom shop numbers there too.
new used, really nice choices overall. A lot of it again out of my personal league, I'm kind of a sub $500 guitar guy.
Some offbeat stuff...

The reason I dropped by was I had taken my wife and son to the airport in the early afternoon. I live in the boonies about 4 hours away from edmonton. The night before I had a dream I took a bunch of my straps to a guitar shop - it was wild and crazy - - I don't ignore stuff like that, so I got up early and did some planning. I picked Stang Guitars, because I had watched a video on the Edmonton Guitar show a few weeks ago, and his display and gear was featured. Seems like a good fit for my stuff. Tyler mentioned to me he is keen on showing stuff from local artisans... like this cool tele hybrid from Dirt Road Guitars he had showing front and centre... Overall he was very gracious, and eager to talk about guitars, his business and I appreciated that.

lots of amps, stuff way out of my personal league, Marshall, Friedman, and suhr, Dr Z, matchless - I'm kind of a vox guy anyway. really nice pedal selection, I think there was three display cases, and brands I didn't recognize and I practically live on guitar forums LOL

Anyway, I took a small carry-on bag full of my strap-craft in, and Tyler thought they were interesting enough to purchase six or seven on the spot, which he will surely mark up a little bit and stock in the store - One of his staff members was very sweet on my proprietary extra large size Well Hung Pro-Pins (jumbo strap buttons) - I gave them a couple sets to test out. If you are happen to be in Edmonton and want to see my straps in person, go talk to Tyler at Stang, and tell them brad sent ya!

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
I can drive there in 10 minutes or so, and I live in the boho Whyte Ave. Arty area,... so ??

·
Mad Strappier
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry fellas, not sure whats up here pics were visible when I hit "post" I'll try again tomorrow

Robert, glad you are close by, but not everyone is. I drove 4 hours.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I like Stang. Tyler is very nice and greets everyone as soon as they come in the door. Last time I was in they had some interesting amps and a few interesting guitars. My only wish is with such a large beautiful store they need more inventory. I haven' been in for 6 or so months though so maybe there is more gear now.

·
Mad Strappier
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
one more stang pic...

Oh and a photo Tyler sent to me the day after my visit... This happy fella didn't score simply a guitar strap, he scored Shock & Awe #38, a highly functional work of art.

Ok fellas forgive me.

I get the sense "Guitar safari" pics aren't welcome here, so I won't be doing it again.

On another forum I frequent, this is a regular thing - and it's quite entertaining - You go to a guitar shop, take some pics and try to give people a sense about the feel of it.
My apologies for wasting anyone's time.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
Ok fellas forgive me.

I get the sense "Guitar safari" pics aren't welcome here, so I won't be doing it again.

On another forum I frequent, this is a regular thing - and it's quite entertaining - You go to a shop, take some pics and try to give people about the feel of it.
What? Said who? We love that here and I've posted safaris before myself. Don't let the pic limit get you all butthurt.

You can get around the pic limit by using another method of posting images (i.e. not linking to external images), or just breaking it up into multiple posts.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Cool pics, man. Thanks for sharing. That looks like a fun shop and it's cool to see both the local work and a couple of classic Gibsons.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Ok fellas forgive me.

On another forum I frequent, this is a regular thing - and it's quite entertaining - You go to a shop, take some pics and try to give people about the feel of it.
NO! We seriously love guitar safari stuff here!

Thanks for your post.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
That store looks fantastic, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: TVvoodoo

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Ok fellas forgive me.

No, no, no. We love guitar pics, store pics, amp pics. Beats the hell out of "I hate Henry" threads 1000:1. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
NO! We seriously love guitar safari stuff here!

Thanks for your post.
What they said! No, please. @TVvoodoo Take pics whenever & wherever. Thanks for sharing & posting.

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
I will say I am a little uncomfortable with heights. Yes I could feel it a bit on the second floor. Felt fine in the acoustic room though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts