The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first guitar finished in nitrocellulose lacquer, and I did not expect to see a note inside about being careful about the guitar stand that is used as that could harm the finish. This was further brought to light in a recent for-sale post by @dmc69 (whose photo I will borrow below -- By the way, the bass looks awesome aside from this minor imperfection... go buy it!).

I have two questions:
  • How can I tell if my stand will have a negative effect on the finish?
  • What stands (brands and/or models) would you recommend?
I currently have some Hercules wall hangers, a Yorkville GS305B, and a Proel stand from many decades ago.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I believe that it's the older type with the surgical tubing that will react.

I use all Hercules stands and this is what they say on their site...

"HERCULES takes great pride in providing you with the highest quality and most trusted stands in the world.
HERCULES had conducted numerous trials on our SFF foam and is pleased to conclude that the foam does NOT react with the large majority of popular instrument finishes on the market, including Nitrocellulose.
These trials included subjecting an assortment of high end and budget friendly instruments on our variety of stands to punishing heat, bitter cold and common room temperatures for periods of up to six months without disruption.

However, each instrument manufacturer has their own formulation of Nitrocellulose, with varying proportions of the chemical agents involved.
There are thousands of variations of lacquer in use in today’s instrument manufacturing processes, making it impossible to test them all.
Therefore, to maintain the level of respect and support your valuable instrument deserves, we recommend you refer to your instrument's owner’s manual for more information regarding the proper storage of your instrument."

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yorkville stands are safe. I emailed the rep a few months back and he informed me that because they are a Canadian distributor for Gibson guitars, their stands have to be nitro safe.

·
Premium Member
8,549 Posts
I used some rubberized wall hangers, and put double layer craft felt over the arms that held guitars. My custom shop Les Paul still took hanger damage under the headstock, I assume fumes from the rubberized hanger. Careful out there.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Half of my stands are Hercules, the other half are cheapos. With the cheapos, I cut some old cotton tshirts into strips of material & I wrapped the rubber parts like I would tape a hockey stick. This is the same as using cotton socks or whatever as a buffer between the rubber and nitro, but it looks a little neater.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Half of my stands are Hercules, the other half are cheapos. With the cheapos, I cut some old cotton tshirts into strips of material & I wrapped the rubber parts like I would tape a hockey stick. This is the same as using cotton socks or whatever as a buffer between the rubber and nitro, but it looks a little neater.
Another way with an old tshirt is to cut the hem off the bottom or sleeves , the bonus to this is they don't unwrap.

This is a hardware store rubberized tool hanger.

Got a fatter stand....old sweat shirt.

One shirt will do a few stands

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Yorkville stands are safe. I emailed the rep a few months back and he informed me that because they are a Canadian distributor for Gibson guitars, their stands have to be nitro safe.
see my post above...in my experience that is not the case

·
Registered
662 Posts
see my post above...in my experience that is not the case
What brand guitars are they? I have three Gibsons on that exact stand for about 6 or 7 months at this point and haven't had any issues.

"Hi Ronald. No worries, we are the Cdn national Gibson distributor so
our stands are definitely nitro-friendly.
Best regards"

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
What brand guitars are they? I have three Gibsons on that exact stand for about 6 or 7 months at this point and haven't had any issues.

"Hi Ronald. No worries, we are the Cdn national Gibson distributor so
our stands are definitely nitro-friendly.
Best regards"
Heritage, and a couple custom built guitars. all nitro lacquer

they all ended up with black stains in the finish, from that foam rubber on the stands

·
Registered
662 Posts
@bolero that's unfortunate. I'll keep a lookout on my guitars. But after months of having my guitars on the stand I have yet to see any smudges, melting or stains. I should also note that they're modern Gibsons, the oldest being a 2011.

Perhaps the nitro formulation of those brands is different than Gibsons, and the yorkville stands could be considered *Gibson nitro safe* ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts