The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taught right from the beginning to read standard notation and couldn't believe how easy it was and wondered why I hadn't learner earlier in life. If you've wondered if you should learn standard music notation or tablature the video below may answer this question for you.

Reactions: mawmow

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
17,174 Posts
Well that title will get backs against walls for starters.

Tab is great. Tab means people who play guitar and/or bass can learn a song they like. Then maybe they start a band and write music other people like.

Why learn sheet music? To be a damn good session and/or classical guitarist. Why use tabs? To learn.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Well, tabs helped me through my fingerstyle learnings : It is like numbered sketches for painting.
Anybody can play the guitar using tabs.
I read and share the idea it is quite convenient to make one's own interpretations using upper positions of the neck through CAGED system, for example.
It also make easy to re-write a melody starting from fake books, but I guess regular staff would help too.
I once re-wrote a melody in standard, Open D and Open G to choose one. It was quite easy.
My point is tabs do have interesting uses.

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
I like both & use both---they have their strengths.
Although curiously, years ago, when I took some classical lessons as an adult (I started on classical as a kid) I tried putting one of the pieces I was learning into Tab as it had some tricky voicings.
But I found it easier to play in standard notation rather than Tab--but other stuff I do prefer in tab sometimes.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
A thorough knowledge and ability with both serves the guitarist best. We kind of live in the golden age of music resources so learning it has never been easier.

Besides the guitar-centricness, the thing that challenges me most about tab is my difficulty in hearing the music in my head when I see it on the page. I do somewhat, but not like with standard notation where it just plays in my head when I see it. I believe that comes from learning to sight sing and sight read at piano at a very early age. Everyone's brain manages this stuff differently, so results vary considerably. (I didn't discover tab until long after I'd taught myself how to read standard notation on guitar.)

I wish more tab included timing/rhythm notation, not so much for myself as I'm more SN dependent, but for the legions of students, hobbyists, and others who are more tab dependent. The music writing software I use, Finale PrintMusic, doesn't add the rhythm elements to the tab (as far as I know...I've never discovered it if it does) though I otherwise like it.

As a teacher, I prefer to teach standard notation, but the days when I could insist on it are long gone. Even so, half of my students read standard notation well, a quarter read it not so well, and a quarter are only tab readers. All of them can read tab.

·
Premium Member
17,174 Posts
Proper tab includes rhythm i think.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
There are two other areas tabs help me (as I am not reading staffs as easily as I do read tabs) :
Making a guitar arrangement from piano staffs (and fake book as I already wrote)
Tabs writes as text files on the PC (easier to share?) : no need to get used to musical notation software.
But I definitely think we do have to learn reading both staffs and tabs.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When I took music lessons as a kid, I was obviously taught notation, but, like a lot of others, it wasn't moving fast enough. So I dropped the lessons and moved onto Guitar World, which had tabs. Looking back, I really, really wish I stuck it out with the lessons! I can't read music now, but if I did, I'd be able to apply it to learning the other instruments I've gathered over the years. When I ditched the lessons, I only wanted to play guitar, and tabs were great! Now that I'd really like to learn piano, or violin, or mandolin, not understanding notation is holding the process back. Having said that, I have no patience for tabs anymore either! Gimme a You-Tube lesson!

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I took music lessons as a kid, I was obviously taught notation, but, like a lot of others, it wasn't moving fast enough. So I dropped the lessons and moved onto Guitar World, which had tabs. Looking back, I really, really wish I stuck it out with the lessons! I can't read music now, but if I did, I'd be able to apply it to learning the other instruments I've gathered over the years. When I ditched the lessons, I only wanted to play guitar, and tabs were great! Now that I'd really like to learn piano, or violin, or mandolin, not understanding notation is holding the process back. Having said that, I have no patience for tabs anymore either! Gimme a You-Tube lesson!
Learning notation is not that difficult. Take it one step at a time and you'll be surprised how quick you catch on. Learn and Master Guitar on DVD is a good way to learn quickly.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I watched the video. His premise makes sense in the context of sight-reading an unfamiliar piece and in pretty much no other context. Again, if you need to sight-read jazz or classical pieces, yes, understanding standard notation is essential. If you pick up a Wolf Marshall book to learn how to play that Yngwie Malmsteen song you've always loved, knowing standard notation is redundant at best. For that, tab is very useful though. Fortunately, nobody has to "learn" tab. Everyone who has even a base level of spatial reasoning can understand how tab works in about 10 seconds.
While that is true, once you understand notation, you can read several notes ahead as we do when reading words and you only need to read one note, not several strings and finger placements like you do in tab. With notation, it's a memorized note, pretty much essential if you are going to play lead and need to memorize songs quickly.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m curious... what songs are you personally “playing lead” on and “memorizing quickly” by sight reading?
I don't play in a band but usually play notes when playing rather than chords and do so because I was taught to read notation. When I learn a song I can memorize the notes after a bit of practice but I can also read ahead several notes, just like reading a book. So can others who have gotten to know how to sight reading. For those who can sight read, they understand how this becomes natural. For those that only use tab, it is hard to understand because all 6 strings are involved in tab.

·
Administrator
16,453 Posts
I play poorly, at best. I used to be able to read music way back in my choir days but I've long since lost that ability. Now I use tab and or youtube lessons to get down a songs basics. After that it's all figuring it out for myself and memory/improvisation.

I'm having fun, that's my main goal.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chords actually are notes, but that aside, are you saying that reading music impedes your ability to play chords?

Again, what songs are you sight-reading? I used to be able to sight read pretty well when I was younger and played a lot of classical. My abilities have degraded since I stopped playing classical as I’ve found pretty much no other context in which I’ve found it useful. I don’t do session work or play jazz. It just seems weird to me that someone would be sight-reading guitar transcriptions of non-classical, non-jazz music.
I learn songs by using sheet music. It seems that you use a different method. Maybe that's why you find it weird. I am trying to learn to train my ear but I have only so much time. I know most here are so much better at this than me.

As for songs I sight-read, all songs except for the ones I memorize.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts