The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much as I hate to, the 8x8 might be going to a new owner.

What do you think would be a better cab to use a stand alone? A 4x10 or a 2x12? I'm leaning towards a 4x10 but am curious about 12" cabs. This would be my only cab for at least the next 6 months or so.

I have experience with 4x10s but have never played a 2x12. Some say the 4x10 is much fuller than 12s, but theoretically, a 2x12 should be a nice mix between a 4x10 and 1x15.

Anyone have personal insight to add?

·
Registered
328 Posts
which cab?

You have a nice head there so it deserves a good cab. Nothing against the
8x8 you already have. Personally I've never had any luck playing bass through 12's. I became converted to 4x10 last year and last week I picked up the Traynor cab (and YBA-200 head) which has 1-15 and 2-20 + adjustable horn.

You might want to try out that cab. All the L&M stores have at least one on hand. It won't handle full output from your 800 head.

You have to try out different cabs to find which one works best for you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
james on bass said:
Much as I hate to, the 8x8 might be going to a new owner.

What do you think would be a better cab to use a stand alone? A 4x10 or a 2x12? I'm leaning towards a 4x10 but am curious about 12" cabs. This would be my only cab for at least the next 6 months or so.

I have experience with 4x10s but have never played a 2x12. Some say the 4x10 is much fuller than 12s, but theoretically, a 2x12 should be a nice mix between a 4x10 and 1x15.

Anyone have personal insight to add?
Hey James!:wave:

You know there's no substitute for experience and anything that we might say is subjective so get thee to a good music shop and check them out. For me personally, I would never use anything buy a 4x10 now that I have one unless I was going for a really old-school vibe, but then I've never played a 2-12. The main reason I've never checked one out is that _most_ 2-12s can't quite compete volume-wise with a 4-10 and the price, size and weight of the cabs usually aren't that different.

It might be worth your while to talk with Dave at Ultimate Basses and see what he has in stock. I got my Epifani from him and although it's a lot of money to spend on a cab I can pretty much guarantee you you'll never need to buy another. If you calculate how much you lose every time you swap cabinets it doesn't take that long to realize you should have just saved up and got a keeper from the start. Although I have a good supply of good gear now it's been slowly accumulated over the last 20 years - I'm sure there are guys here that have bought and sold more gear in the last year than I have in my entire life (and I'm your age).

As always, happy shopping!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
This would depend entirely on what speakers the cabinet is actually loaded with. There are full range twelves, mid range twelves and bass/sub twelves.

The problem is that the bass/sub twelves will not accurately reproduce the higher frequencies and will need the help of a high frequency driver. They also tend to be soft in the upper mid range.

Mid range or full range twelves wont go low enough and your low end will likely sound ratty and you won't be able to lay down the carpet. They will have no trouble producing the entire mid range and models with an metal dust cap can go pretty high.

You can't go wrong with a 4x10 and a single 18 though - especially if you have more than four stings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I personally have gone away from a 410 to a 212.
(GK Neo 212) This cab is excellent 600 watts with
great sensitivity and light. For context I have used
SWR goliath III, Eden d410xlt, and the ampeg 410-hlf.
The ampeg had great lows but sounded loose to me, the eden
was also excellent but had a pretty pronounced low mid bump.
The swr was pretty mid scooped. The 212 seems much more balanced
to me. So for what I do jazz, funk, rock (not metal) it works.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the 8x8 left the building yesterday afternoon. :frown: Hated to see it go, but I really need something I can comfortably lift and cart around easily myself.

Ordered an Avatar 2x12 Neo in blonde tolex this afternoon. Should hopefully see it next week. :banana:

·
Registered
69 Posts
james on bass said:
Ordered an Avatar 2x12 Neo in blonde tolex this afternoon. Should hopefully see it next week. :banana:
That should do the trick nicely! Hey, blonde tolex seems to be coming back into vogue.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, James. :food-smiley-004:

I've heard nothing but good things about the Avatar neo cabs - can't wait for a report!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Baconator said:
Congrats on the purchase, James. :food-smiley-004:

I've heard nothing but good things about the Avatar neo cabs - can't wait for a report!

Fo sho!

I consider it my duty as a member of this forum to give full, in-depth, slightly biased opinions on my new gear purchases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts