The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,
Looking to gather some perspective. Would you recommend a stainless re-fret for a musician that takes 7 thou material off frets in under 2 years?
I'm doing fretwork on a guitar that has already had some localized fret leveling done when new. (ok, a sad start for the guitar, localized work was above 16th fret) . Now it is fairly worn at 12-17th frets and buzzes out. I'm comfortable that a good level and crown will restore playability, but unknown for how long but suspect continued rate of play will repeat the 2 year cycle... with wood holding stable.
Frets are jumbo about .113x.53 down to about .45 or less in spots.
I get that two fret levels should be capable with this initial height, but any local neck wow might reduce that ability.

For those that have performed a stainless re-fret, I'm curious how effective/difficult the end dress work is and what risks carry with the change, like loosening frets from excessive lateral filing pressures or lift or ??
I understand they are to be bent to exact radius vs under. What is your experience ?

This is a 28" baritone btw, with inspired play daily, so I'd expect neck replacements are less common plus expensive.

( I suppose there is another way to paraphrase ...When you've worn down your fave axe, now what? )

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did a refret using jumbo stainless on a Charvel last year. All I can say is it was a lot of work to level, crown and polish. One of the most time consuming jobs ever. So unless you are prepared to put in the time and have the proper tools (you will need diamond files) you may want to reconsider.

The hardest part is the polishing....or maybe I am just too picky.....but I spent hours and hours working with steel wool and then my Dremel to get the polish back. But let me tell ya once it was done, man oh man did look and feel great.

I have 2 guitars with SS frets and they are my preference. I have a hard grip, and have yet to see any visible signs of wear on them compared to my other guitars, mind you I have many more years on the others. Bending is smoother on the SS.

Take your time and you can definitely get SS done up same as you would regular frets. Worth the extra time a d effort if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I have an older diamond file from ebay, still in good shape, but haven't seen too many similar for the price I paid.
I'll consider a SS job, maybe a trial one on something less risky for experience, but a keeper , as it should be worthy of the price of tools I may need to replace.
:)

P

·
0 Posts
I got SS on a Warmoth neck and had the neck installed professionally. I don't like the frets.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
You may not like the change in feel and tone from having SS frets. Also expect them to wear out strings faster. If y0u need a crown and level every two years I'd say get it set up and keep on playing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree on the string wear....that is the main thing I have noticed on my guitar. I am burning through strings faster....which isn't a bad thing really string life is still decent I am just lazy and hate changing strings. So although I am doing it more it isn't that big of a deal, I also play the new guitar all day every day so that might have something to do with it :)

P

·
0 Posts
I would rather wear strings than frets.

Another alternative is the Jescar Evo Gold frets. Harder that regular but don't seem to bother people like Ss.

Evo Gold | Jescar | Jescar

Gold Evo Fretwire

Evo gold fretwire is a copper alloy (elemental composition: CuSn15Fe1Ti0.1) that has been used for years in the optical industry. It contains no nickel and therefore meets the"nickel free" European standard. It stands the test of time and can really dress up your guitar. With a Vicker's hardness of HV5/250, it is harder than our nickel/silver wire (HV5/200), but softer than the stainless (HV5/300). This wire is not plated; it is gold all the way through and retains the gold color once the frets are dressed. See gold fretwire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts