The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Providing insufficient current is unlikely to damage anything, but IS likely to result in poorer sound.
As damage is unlikely and it seems a bit unclear as to the exact current that is being provided, should @John Oughton just plug the Zoom into one of the DC jacks and see if it works with passable sound? Or is it possible that what works one day will crap out the next if the current is insufficient?

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
If the OP wants it bad enough, use a small transformer to step up the 9V AC to 12V or so and then rectify and regulate that to 9V DC. That output has more than enough power behind it, but the complication would probably have me just use the pedal's supplied PS.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
If the dc output is 100Ma per outlet as I stated earlier and the pedal needs more than that, it won't turn the pedal on. I have a T Rex Chameleon that has outputs @250Ma. My digitech trio needs 500Ma. The pedal will not work. But I could buy a current doubling cable that could plug into 2 of 250Ma outlets and give the pedal 500 Ma.....

The OP could spend 10 bucks on the current doubling cable but if I am correct he will only have 200Ma. Still not enough if the recommended wart is 500Ma

How old is the board?? Year 2000? Did they have pedals requiring more than 100Ma back then?

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Still 100Ma. No room to print it in that little box

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Reddit post from 4 years ago.....

madcow104

4y

Assuming this is the board in question, you cant power any Strymon pedals with it.

The page says "ALL of the DC outputs on the PS-55 are 100mA."

Strymon pedals require 9v and varying levels of mA, but unless you have an OB1 (20mA), you need at least 250ma to power them, 300mA for the bigger ones (Mobius, Timeline, Big Sky)

So long story short, looks like you cant do it without extra equipment, like a Current doubling cable, but even then you are still short of the proper power. Maybe if SKB makes a VAC to DC converter cable/rectifier you could use one of the VAC connections that provide 1.3a. but its not likely.

You want to make sure your pedals (especially the digital ones) are powered properly, don't want to mess em up.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts