The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I submitted a post complaining that a stacked humbucker in my strat sounded thinner than a full humbucker in my Yamaha Pacifica.

UPDATE: I finally got fat strat pick guard and my guitarist installed his Ibanez humbucker, replacing the stacked humbucker. Now it has a fuller sound than his SG, I am so happy now. Although it still doesn't match the fuzzy sound of the pacifica, probably because they're different bodies, I love the sound, it's full, meaty yet still provides a vintage tone of a Strat. Plus he put the stacked humbucker into the neck position and it sounds pretty cool.

So for those who don't know, the answer to the burning question for me for the last year is, stacked humbuckers may cancel hum but it's no match for full double coil humbuckers.

:DevilGuitar: :rockon:

·
Registered
274 Posts
agreed. stacked p-90's (p-100) were a realy bomb in my opinion though. yeah they cancel hum and increase output, but they sound so awful. noise is part of the character of a p-90

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dumb question, but you had the coils wired in series, right? And which model were you using? I moved from a Duncan Quarter Pound single coil to a Hot Stack, and the Hot Stack was easily louder/bigger than the Quarter Pound (not by much though). I could easily cut through a Les Paul.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts