The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys - I'm thinking of having a Warmoth neck refretted with SS and the edges rolled a bit more to feel like my Suhr neck. Can anyone suggest a luthier that can do this really well? Willing to travel or ship it to the GTA but would rather find someone closer to do the work. I'm in the London area.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I've had nothing but great guitar work done by Shyboy & Tex in Toronto. I've had good and bad experiences at Don't Fret, and Peghead in Hamilton. At the Elmira guitar show, I picked up a card from a guy towards London. I have it at home somewhere.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
My go to guys are Mike Spicer at The Peghead in Hamilton (he as a bit of a wait right now) & Alistair Miller in the east end of Toronto.

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Freddie's Frets Niagara on the Lake

Reactions: Roryfan

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I think I remember someone saying you needed special equipment for doing SS frets as it can't be cut with some of the regular fretting tools. I don't know if all the people mentioned in the above posts have tools that work with SS but it would likely pay to ask. Am I making sense here or am I out in left field?

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Hey Guys - I'm thinking of having a Warmoth neck refretted with SS and the edges rolled a bit more to feel like my Suhr neck. Can anyone suggest a luthier that can do this really well? Willing to travel or ship it to the GTA but would rather find someone closer to do the work. I'm in the London area.
A refret is probably gonna cost near as much as buying a neck made to your spec.

Reactions: Roryfan
P

·
0 Posts
A refret is probably gonna cost near as much as buying a neck made to your spec.
But after you get the neck, you will still need a complete fret filing and setup. I bought a Warmoth neck and it was not good to go. I took it to one luthier for $150 and it was much better but still not so great. I had it pleked for $250 but it still is not really that good. There ya go...

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
But after you get the neck, you will still need a complete fret filing and setup. I bought a Warmoth neck and it was not good to go. I took it to one luthier for $150 and it was much better but still not so great. I had it pleked for $250 but it still is not really that good. There ya go...
Sounds like you should have gotten a refund IMO. Personally I've never had that issue with Warmouth necks, to be honest I thought that the QC was Superior to fender in the examples I've owned.

P

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you should have gotten a refund IMO. Personally I've never had that issue with Warmouth necks, to be honest I thought that the QC was Superior to fender in the examples I've owned.
That was the 2nd one (replacement) they sent me... The first luthier took 6 months so that was that. I spec'd stainless frets and I am one of those guys that can hear the high end chirping.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting concept. Can't answer a simple question for bigboki but all too willing to pick everyone's brain.
You don't see the difference between our questions?

Answers to my question via google:

where can I have stainless frets installed in SW ontario - Google Search

Answers to his via google:

Google

In other words, googling my question didn't offer any help. Googling his answered in the first hit and second hit was a video showing him how to do it.

%h(*&

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Check out Ayr Guitars (my apologies, I met him at the Elmira guitar show & forget his name). Apparently he buys necks in a semi-finished state, which means you may be able to order something with SS frets, then have him put the final touches on it, install it on your guitar & give it a proper set up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts